Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Yeasty off-flavor

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedudebill

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Yeasty off-flavor Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kegged the Electric Hop Candy NEIPA last night, 2.5 weeks post brew day and following 2 days of crash cooling. This morning, the sample I pulled from the keg definitely had hints of yeast / marmite / vegemite. I think it could be the result of over-pitching or pitching bad yeast. Curious what others think based on the below description (and if any suggestions to mitigate).

Initially pitched 2 packs of the GIGA Yeast Vermont IPA strain (marked as 200 billion cells as of production date) but noticed the packages were more than 3 months post production date too late to make a starter. No activity at all after 36 hours so I re-pitched with two more recently-manufactured packs of Imperial's Barbarian yeast (since should be same as Giga's -- both are meant to be the Conan strain if you believe what you read on the internet). From there, fermentation took off as anticipated and reached expected terminal gravity within 5-6 days.

Any thoughts about the yeasty/brothy flavor? Too much yeast? Autolysis from the over-the-hill GIGA yeast? Could also be that I transferred some yeast sludge to the keg from the fermenter. Is there anything I can do to try to get the flavor to mellow? Let it settle another day or so and re-rack to a different keg?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeasty off-flavor Reply with quote

thedudebill wrote:
Could also be that I transferred some yeast sludge to the keg from the fermenter.

How much yeast / sludge was in the sample you pulled? If there was a lot of yeast / sludge in the sample, it may taste yeasty / sludgy. (Yeah, I know, I'm stating the obvious).

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to try to get the flavor to mellow?

My guess is that you're probably just drinking yeast and/or sludge. I would let it settle as you mentioned only kegging it last night.

I'm not familiar with the yeast you've used so I can't comment on that.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
thedudebill

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're right in your diagnosis. Sampled again tonight and it's a little less in your face. Still needs a few days to fully carbonate -- maybe the yeastiness will subside on the same time frame.

The yeast is purported to be the Conan strain, same as the WLP095 Burlington Ale. Agree with your assessment that it imparts a sharper aroma and taste profile in the Electric Hop Candy IPA compared to London Ale III.

Next up, Pliny the Elder ...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's getting better? How much yeast / sludge was in the sample you pulled? It should be obvious just by looking at it how much yeast is in there...

Kal

thedudebill

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry to ignore your question initially. Hard to say, exactly. I was doing a pressurized transfer from an Ss Brewtech 7 gallon unitank to a 1/6 barrel Sanke keg. The initial draw from the unitank quickly clogged the feed, and I had to close the racking valve, remove the tap, clean out the 1/2" ID tubing and restart. Not sure now much yeast/hop/trub made it into the keg. The pulls from the keg are still a bit cloudy, so it's possible a fair amount of sludge transferred. Think I should re-rack?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, I meant how much yeast is in the glass into which you pulled a sample? Should be fairly obvious if it’s full of yeast. How much got into the keg doesn’t really matter. It’ll settle out. But if you draw a sample not that long after racking it’ll be dropping near the bottom. Sometimes drawing a sample 12 hours after kegging is worse than immediately after racking as it’s all mostly near the bottom but not completely settled out yet (that can take a few days). While it’s not technically meant as a yeast filter I find that using Hop Stopper keg editions in my kegs really helps reduce that what time before clean(ish) pours. For beers that are meant to consumed fresh I find I can keg, put it in the conditioning fridge under 40PSI for ~24 hours to carb and am then pouring 24 hours after kegging. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: