Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Are Blichmann temp probes compatible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpcoleman2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Are Blichmann temp probes compatible? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a new to me electric pilot pro system and I like everything about it except the controllers. It has the old Stone Tower of power controllers. I have read that the brewcoils from Blichmann will be compatible, but I’m trying to find out whether the existing temperature probes will work with the 50 amp control panel as built. I have searched and forgive me if I just didn’t find it, but I could not find any articles regarding this. Plenty about their heating coils.

It seems they have a four prong cable with female terminations. Would it just be easier to get new temperature probes?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Our Electric Brewery control panels support pretty much any probe type out there. This includes both TC (2-wire) and RTD (3-wire) type of temperature probes as follows:

2-wire Thermocouple (TC) types supported: K, E, S, WRe, J, T, B, N
3-wire RTD types supported: Pt100, Cu50

The temp probes we sell are all RTD Pt100 as they're more accurate than TC.

Now that said, our Electric Brewery control panel temperature probe connectors on the bottom are male XLR locking type connectors as our temp probes use female locking XLR plugs. If your existing temp probes use something different, you may need adapters or you could change the plugs on your probes to be female locking XLR plugs. We sell these here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/plugs-connectors-receptacles/products/female-xlr-cable-connector-3-pin

This info from our temp probe order pages will help too if you want to build something custom and you may need to remap the wires:

Quote:
I'M BUILDING A CUSTOM SETUP. HOW ARE THE WIRES MAPPED/CONFIGURED?

Our temperature probes have three wires: Two red and one white. The two red wires are interchangeable.

The two red wires connect to XLR pins 1 and 3, and the white wire connects to XLR pin 2.

If using one of our control panels, the two red wires connect to PID controller screws 3 and 4 (order does not matter) while the white wire connects to PID controller screw 5.

I don't know what your Blichmann temp probes types are I'm afraid. We can't track the myriad of types, styles, and pinouts that others use. There are just too many makes/models and they may change over time.

If you're interested in purchasing, our Electric Brewery control panel are only available here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels

And our temp probes are only available here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-probes

(We don't build for anyone else)

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jpcoleman2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I think my plan will be to replace the probes in the RIMS rocket and boil move on from there.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Any other questions please reach out.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: