Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

3 and 4 pin temp probes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbhammel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: 3 and 4 pin temp probes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm wiring my existing 3 wire temp probe connection to a male 4 pin rtd. Instructions would lead me to believe I should have red wires on pins 1 and 3 and a white wire on pin 2 and nothing going to pin 4. Am I crazy or should is this standard procedure? I was led to this because I had a system with 3 pin rtd probes and connections but bought new kettles that had 4 pin temp probes. I thought I was on the right path but when I plugged everything in I had an error on my temp control display. Am I barking up the wrong tree here and just need to buy new 3 pin probes?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Our temperature probes are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-probes

This information on our temp probe order pages may help:

Quote:
They all have three wires: Two red and one white. The two red wires are interchangeable.
For our design the two red wires connect to XLR pins 1 and 3, and the white wire connects to XLR pin 2.
If using one of our control panels, the two red wires connect to PID controller screws 3 and 4 (order does not matter) while the white wire connects to PID controller screw 5.

Now that said, I looked up the email you're using here under your username and I don't see you having purchased anything from us (at least not using the email you've registered on our forum).

If you're using someone else's probes that has 4 wires as well as different device to read the signal from the probes, it's difficult to assist as I don't know what parts you're using or how they work. Sorry! You'll need to ask whomever you purchased your probes and/or temp display device from as to what probes the device supports and how it should be wired.

That said, there's no standards to pinouts from temp probes to whatever device wants to communicate with the temp probe. You just need to make sure that the two are hooked up correctly per the wiring instructions provided by the device talking to the temp probe. That device also has to support whatever temp probe type you're using (3 wire RTD/Pt100 in this case it seems).

Good luck!

Kal

P.S. You posted the same question twice in two spots so I removed the other post.

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: