Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kettle Selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szuromski

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Kettle Selection Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All. I’ve been doing my research and have decided to make the conversation over to electric with The Electric Brewery – I’m really looking forward to it and putting the finishing touches on my plans. The only thing that I’m questioning at this point is the kettles. I have an existing SS Brewtech InfuSSion mash tun which I’ll continue to use – no issue there. I also have an existing SS Brewtech 20 gal BME for a boil kettle – the problem is that it has a sloped bottom and I don’t think it will take a TC element. There is a 1.5” TC for the thermometer that is near the 8 gallon mark so I think is too high for smaller batches. Rather than trying to modify this kettle try and make it work, I’m leaning towards selling it and just buying two new kettles – boil and HLT. If you had to buy new kettles would folks still go with the Blichmann's? The only reason I’m questing going with the Blichmann's is that I’m buying brand new kettles and then having to buy step bits, hole punches, etc that I’ll probably never use again to cut holes in my new kettles. Anyone opt to purchase custom kettles from Spike? If so, were you happy with that decision or would you recommend sticking with the Blichmann's anyways. Thanks for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make beer in any vessel you like (our design is kettle agnostic), it all comes down to ease of cleaning, ease of use, and so forth. If I had to buy kettles again today, they would be Blichmann again due to the well protected sight glass (which nobody else seems to use) and the excellent false bottom that is easily removed/cleaned without any tools at all.

One of the biggest benefits I find is definitely the sight glass: It really lets you hone in sparging and getting your volumes right for the most consistent beer possible. Most others do not have sight glasses but instead use internal etching as it’s cheaper to do, but etching can’t be seen without removing the lid and when the wort’s in motion or foamy it’s useless. I also like how much easier the kettle I use are to clean.

A lot of our customers agree, but again, up to you what you want to use. If you read here on our TESTIMONIALS page you’ll see there are many who are extremely happy and not using Blichmann kettles: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/testimonials

Cheers and good luck! Welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
szuromski

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! I'm going with the Blichmann's! Appreciate the prompt response.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Good luck with the build!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: