Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Shunts and Contacters

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukdaasfan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Shunts and Contacters Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

So acquired a half built panel when I bought a Brewery (was intending to build one anyway, but this saved me some work)

Am I correct in thinking that is I don't have the Amp and Voltage meters I the Shunt is not required. I mean it looks real cool but think's its over kill for me in my garage.

It came with the SSR already in place but no contacter. So trying to acquire some to be totally safe, these came up in my RS search but want to be sure.....

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/1218069/
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shunts and Contacters Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

ukdaasfan wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that is I don't have the Amp and Voltage meters I the Shunt is not required.

Correct.

Quote:
It came with the SSR already in place but no contacter. So trying to acquire some to be totally safe, these came up in my RS search but want to be sure..... https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/1218069/

What contactor you should be using depends on which model control panel you're building. The contactor you linked to has the correct specs for a 30A control panel meant for international use (240V only, no 120V) as outlined here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25393

Note that their description says "single pole" but the diagram on the part itself shows two poles. I'm assuming it's actually two pole. Not sure what you'd get. EDIT: I bet you'd get a single pole unit and that the picture is only a representation. Make sure to buy the right part.

Now that said, I hate contactors with these sorts of friction fit connection points as they are prone to lose connections which are inherently unsafe. I recommend a relay or contactor with screw connection points. Assuming the specs on the above are what you need, either of these will work:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/30a-240v-dpdt-or-dpst-relay-with-220-240v-ac-coil
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/2-pole-50a-resistive-240vac-contactor-with-220-240vac-coil

We also sell both in our shop and ship worldwide (see the first link on both pages).

A note about 50A vs 30A: Even if you only need 30A, 50A is fine. You can always go higher current.

Good luck and happy building.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ukdaasfan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Well I live in the UK so that is the correct panel. I can understand what you mean about that contact. Last thing you need is a lose live contact inside that lot.

How much is shipping for 3 contractors to the UK. That might actually be the cheapest option Smile
ukdaasfan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that DIN rail components are cheaper than Standalone in the UK.

I assume if I can find the similar thing on a DIN rail that would also be fine.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdaasfan wrote:
How much is shipping for 3 contractors to the UK. That might actually be the cheapest option Smile

We offer multiple shipping methods. Add the items to your cart, then visit your cart and enter your country / postal code for a list of shipping options.

ukdaasfan wrote:
I have noticed that DIN rail components are cheaper than Standalone in the UK.
I assume if I can find the similar thing on a DIN rail that would also be fine.

Yes, DIN works. DIN vs bolt mount is simply how a part attaches. Doesn't change the functionality and has nothing to do with quality (you can buy good quality bolt mount and DIN mount components, you can buy junky ones for both as well). Though good quality parts are not usually cheaper in my experience and also require a piece of DIN rail, stoppers, and (usually) special tools to attach wire ferrule using crimpers. We do sell DIN rail components, including contactors. See here for complete details: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/din-rail-components

Kal

ukdaasfan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think DIN rail is cheaper. Plus we have a load of rail and stoppers at work I can have Smile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heschen-Household-Contactor-Normally-Voltage/dp/B07LD7R8TZ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=Heschen+Household+AC+Contactor+CT1-25+2+Pole+Two+Normally+Open+220V/230V+Coil+Voltage+35+mm+DIN+Rail+Mount+32amp&qid=1605541792&s=diy&sr=1-3&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-21&linkId=261ec7ce4136b644559cf6410d0b6407&language=en_GB

These seem to be the same as in your shop.

I assume it doesn't require any changes to the wiring.... If I am putting in a din rail maybe through in a 32 AMP circuit breaker.

So have live feed -> Breaker -> Contacter

It would appeal to my over zealous sense of saftey.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdaasfan wrote:
Hey, I think DIN rail is cheaper. Plus we have a load of rail and stoppers at work I can have Smile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heschen-Household-Contactor-Normally-Voltage/dp/B07LD7R8TZ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=Heschen+Household+AC+Contactor+CT1-25+2+Pole+Two+Normally+Open+220V/230V+Coil+Voltage+35+mm+DIN+Rail+Mount+32amp&qid=1605541792&s=diy&sr=1-3&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-21&linkId=261ec7ce4136b644559cf6410d0b6407&language=en_GB

These seem to be the same as in your shop.

It may appear to have the same specifications but that only tells part of the story. You know nothing about the quality. Like comparing two cars and assuming they are the same quality because both have 4 wheels, 4 doors, and a steering wheel. Wink

Not saying you shouldn't buy whatever you like, I'm simply stating that quality will vary. I find that if price is the driving factor then you usually end up with the cheapest quality items that do not last (true for everything in life, not just electrical parts).

Quote:
I assume it doesn't require any changes to the wiring.... If I am putting in a din rail maybe through in a 32 AMP circuit breaker.

So have live feed -> Breaker -> Contacter

It would appeal to my over zealous sense of saftey.

DIN rail is simply how parts are mounted. Wiring stays the same.

Keep in mind that while wiring for DIN rail components is the same, layout is usually different given how DIN rail are lined up on a rail and how power distribution is done is often different. As I mentioned above, special tools are usually required as well as ferrules.

Cheers,

Kal

ukdaasfan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, what is the make and model you ship if I was to purchase 3 ?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the information we are able to provide is on the order page in the specs and pictures.

Please keep in mind too that purchasing through our website helps support us. It's what allows me to be today here answering your questions, what allowed us to publish these plans in the first place. Your support is appreciated!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: