Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

First brew day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: First brew day! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yes my very first first brew day.... not only today was my first day using MY electric brewery, but today was my first day making wort... ever!

So today went fairly smooth, I just stopped from the final cleanup to post:

The few issues:

1. I forgot to seal the Vortex fan housing. It rained a bit.
2. Random issue with the amp meter, it worked 95% of the time as expected and then: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9s9CUqdJQnXimXCx6

All in all, I did brew a 5 gallon all grain kit today..it has been a long journey.
Thanks Kal!

Jeff

Last edited by JSB on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Jeff!

Check the voltage on the amp meter - it's likely set too high.

You may also be able to lower your sink a bit to be aligned with your tables, take make things easier when cleaning.

Cheers!

Ksl

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am understanding correctly this was your first time making homemade beer. Is this correct? If so, really jumped into the BIG time right away.

Great that things went well!

What's up next?
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my very first brew. The first 5 gallons is bubbling nicely in the fermenter. Next is a 5 gallon Bells Two Hearted clone.

After that I need to buy some grain Very Happy
Probables:
Oskar Blues - Old Chub clone
a Hazy IPA, probably ELECTRIC HOP CANDY

Mug
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the first brew!

John

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second brew, Bells Two Hearted clone, brewed, fermented, kegged, force carbed, pull the tap handle and drip... drip... drip. The dip tube was packed with the dry hops. Rolling Eyes

Keg edition hop stoppers are now on order.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your order Jeff! In the meantime you can disconnect the gas line from the keg, pop the gas release valve (assuming your keg has one), and then remove the dip tube to clean it to clear the blockage. Re-insert, try again. You may have to do this 2-3 times over a few days as more hops settle. (You may already know all this as you've seen why your pour's not working, but thought I'd mention it). Wink The Hop Stopper Keg Editions make this all unnecessary of course. Thanks for your order! I definitely don't miss clogged dip tubes!

Kal

JSB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the dip tube was so clogged I had to use some #12 copper wire to run it through! After the second try... I said screw this and transferred the beer to another keg. Lots of hops goodies down the drain though.

Just part of the learning process!

Oh ya the first hard lesson learned was on my first keg, force carbed... did NOT burp it and then when i hooked up the 12 psi gas.... the 35 psi gas in the keg won and sent beer within an inch of the regulator.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Always good to have one way flow valves after the regulators - just in case!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: