Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fan Speed Control setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Fan Speed Control setup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
I've purchased and mounted a VTX600 and also purchased a KBWC-15K fan control from KB Electronics.
I've read through your setup several times and have now decided I'd like a self contained switch away from the controller.
I see in your old setup you plugged the fan into your box with a receptacle and speed controller. Did you plug and unplug the fan every time you wanted it on/off? I guess in my own brewery I was thinking my box would contain a receptacle, the KBWC-15K and an on/off switch? Is that doable with the KBWC-15K fan control I already have and do you have a wiring diagram that would work? I've searched the internet for such a thing and can't find what I think I'm looking for??

Thanks for any help you can offer!
RD Harles
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Speed Control setup Reply with quote

YeastFeast wrote:
I've purchased and mounted a VTX600 and also purchased a KBWC-15K fan control from KB Electronics.
I've read through your setup several times and have now decided I'd like a self contained switch away from the controller.
I see in your old setup you plugged the fan into your box with a receptacle and speed controller. Did you plug and unplug the fan every time you wanted it on/off?[

No - on my old setup it stayed plugged in. The old speed control I had used had an 'off' position as well as 3 speeds: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/lutron-quiet-3-speed-fan-control

Quote:
I guess in my own brewery I was thinking my box would contain a receptacle, the KBWC-15K and an on/off switch?

No. The KBWC-15K also has an off position. This one here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/kbwc-15k-fan-control-from-kb-electronics

This is what I use today. It's installed in a wall in a single gang box. Nothing else.

Quote:
Is that doable with the KBWC-15K fan control I already have and do you have a wiring diagram that would work?

The KBWC-15K installs like a regular light switch. 3 wires and ground. The speed control would normally control the HOT line, the neutral line goes directly to the device you're controlling (not connected to the speed control), and the ground from the speed control goes to the gang box chassis that should be properly grounded. No diagram needed (though I believe there was a sample diagram included with the unit like you get with most light switches). If you're not sure how to wire a light switch safely best to hire an electrician, just to be sure, as you're mucking around with your home's permanent wiring here. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information, appreciate it!

So I could wire (kind of like) your old diagram below combining a standard outlet with the KBWC-15K in a box connected to 15 amp Romex to the house's main box. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

By the way, good advice about a qualified electrician. I plan to have an electrician do all the final connections to the main box and inspect my work. I like to do and learn as much as I can, and in the end, understand everything I'm putting into a project.

[/img]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YeastFeast wrote:
So I could wire (kind of like) your old diagram below combining a standard outlet with the KBWC-15K in a box connected to 15 amp Romex to the house's main box. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Correct! At least from what I remember. Double check with the documentation that came with your KBWC-15K. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: