Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Step analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Step analysis Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've brewed 18 batches since constructing my EB. I keep track of time for each step. Knowing the average and median time for each step allows me to determine if the brew session is going to plan. Or, have I mistakenly took too long on a step? If so, why did this happen. Or, have I blown thru a step? Once again, why did this happen? Also, by knowing the average and median step times allows me, depending when I am brewing to step away to have breakfast, lunch or dinner or do another task.

I share the following information and hope to get feedback from others on their step averages and medians. Also, I believe the information gives those thinking of building and using an EB and idea of brew session times.

Step 1 - Mill grain: I don't keep track of this time. Using a motorized grain mill quickly mills the grains. Probably takes me longer to find the ingredients, weigh the ingredients than to mill. Also, I always mill the malt the day before brewing.

Step 2 - Fill HLT with Water: Average: 10 minutes. Median: 9 minutes.

Step 3 - Heat Strike Water: Average: 1 hour. Median: 1 hour 2 minutes.

Step 4 - Transfer Strike Water to MLT: Average: 5 minutes. Median: 2 minutes.

Step 5 - Mash: Average: 1 hour 56 minutes. Median: 1 hour 52 minutes. (Why longer than 90 minutes? Additional time to get MLT up to temp after doughing in the malt.)

Step 6 - Mash Out: Both average and median: 35 minutes

Step 7 - Sparge: Average: 1 hour, 24 minutes. Median: 1 hour 21 minutes

Step 8 - Boil: (60 min) Average: 1 hour, 42 minutes. Median 1 hour, 43 minutes. (90 min) Average: 2 hours, 17 minutes. Median: 2 hours, 16 minutes.

Step 9 - Chill: Average: 1 hour, 20 minutes. Median: 1 hour, 24 minutes.

Step 10 - Clean Up: Average: 1 hour, 20 minutes. Median: 1 hour, 18 minutes.

Overall brew session: (60 min boil) Average: 9 hours, 28 minutes. Median: 9 hours, 14 minutes. (90 min boil) Average: 10 hours, 26 minutes. Median: 10 hours, 17 minutes.

These values are based on a beginning 60 minute boil of 13.9 gallons or 90 minute boil of 14.8 gallons ~ 12 gallons into the fermenter ~ 10 gallons kegged.

Last edited by KB on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting study!

I don't track my times because I'm not trying to finish quickly. I do often step away to do other things. For example, I'll often let mashes go very long while I'm out on the town running errands. Sometimes I'll leave the boil until later in the evening and just have the BK hold the wort at 150-160F for a few hours until then. You can certainly split up the brew day. I'm lucky that having a dedicated spot for this means I can easily do this without being in the way plus I don't have any setup or teardown time.

There are certain steps that can be the same length, but many can't, unless you brew exactly the same beer every time.

Some examples:

- Some beers will use 2x or even 3x as much grain as others. That means it takes longer to ramp up in the mash and mashout steps as there's more mass. Will also take longer to mill.
- Some beers will have a single hop addition at 60 mins, others may have 4-5 additions. Takes me longer to weigh out the hops.
- Some beers may go through complex 4-5 hour step mashes, others only 60 mins.
- Some beers may want a 60 min boil, others 120, or even 180. (You do mention different boil times).

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I continue using my EB and review the times I've improved, as expected, as I get used to my equipment, et al. I've also gotten good at getting things ready for the next step, if possible, while still in the current step.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KB,

I think if you run some of these steps in parallel, you will save a lot of time. e.g. Heating up HLT & Weighing/milling grains

One thing that stuck out to me: " Additional time to get MLT up to temp after doughing in the malt."

If you use an app (I really like https://web.brewfather.app/), you should be able to calculate your strike temp to get the mash to pretty close if not exactly to your mash temp. (I then add cold water to the HLT to bring it down to near the mash temp and recirculate.) That will save some time.

Also, check out Brulosophy.com for their "Short and Shoddy" series and ideas on where you can decrease the amount of time for your brew day. I can attest that some of them (namely mash and boil times) can be cut in half and still produce exceptional beer. (I brewed a No English brown and got silver in the New England regional competition last year.)

That is a crazy long time for chilling - what do you use?
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I over heat the HLT by 10F. Transferring to the MLT and stirring in the malt drops the temp. For example if I want a mash at 152F, I heat the HLT to 162F and then transfer the amount needed to the MLT for mashing.

I use a counter wort chiller. I pre-chill the input water to lower 40s temp. Balance the hot wort and the cold water so the output wort is the desired temp (depends if I'm making an ale or lager).

Not looking to cut time or save time. I beleive I now make 1000% better beer with my EB setup than I did before I built it.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused by:
KB wrote:
Additional time to get MLT up to temp after doughing in the malt
if you already know how high you need the HLT in order to hit your mash temp.

An hour and 20 minutes if you're chilling water to 40 degrees. Is all of your water at 40 degrees or are you recirculating it?

Asking these questions so I might be able to help.

KB wrote:

Not looking to cut time or save time. I believe I now make 1000% better beer with my EB setup than I did before I built it.
100% right about that bud!
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not recycling the chilling water. I collect the hot out water in a large 50 gallon barrel for other use at another time on another day.

The mash temp drops after transferring the liquid from the HLT to the MLT and then stirring in the malt. Temp may drop to 137F. Need to bring it back up to 152F (these are just examples).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: