Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

225's Brewery Build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
225 wrote:
I ordered these valves on Amazon (through affiliate link) and they're outright garbage. I'm returning them.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming you went through this page:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-ball-valve-1-2-npt-full-port

We don't link to specific valves on Amazon but instead simply do a search for products that match as in cases like this sellers come and go on Amazon, so it's a definitely a crap-shoot doing that. In fact, it's a crapshoot ordering from anywhere other than through our store as those are the only products we have experience with and can guarantee will work perfectly. In many cases we tried many different suppliers before settling on the ones we sell here because (as you're finding out) quality can be all over the place.

Our valves are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/stainless-fittings/products/stainless-steel-ball-valve-1-2-full-port

Quote:
The temp probes are bottoming out on the tee's. Kal, can I trim the end of the temp probes? Or will that mess with the temp readings?

You cannot trim or alter them at all. They are hollow inside and there's a sensor near the tip. (I confirmed that you purchased the temp probes from us).

The stainless tees you did not purchase from us. Ours are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/stainless-fittings/products/stainless-steel-tee-1-2-npt-female

The ones you purchased must not be as wide as the ones we sell.

Quote:
How much would that restrict the flow? I dunno.

Not sure. Probably not much. Just may be more of a pain to use.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
225 wrote:
I ordered these valves on Amazon (through affiliate link) and they're outright garbage. I'm returning them.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming you went through this page:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-ball-valve-1-2-npt-full-port

We don't link to specific valves on Amazon but instead simply do a search for products that match as in cases like this sellers come and go on Amazon, so it's a definitely a crap-shoot doing that. In fact, it's a crapshoot ordering from anywhere other than through our store as those are the only products we have experience with and can guarantee will work perfectly. In many cases we tried many different suppliers before settling on the ones we sell here because (as you're finding out) quality can be all over the place.

Our valves are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/stainless-fittings/products/stainless-steel-ball-valve-1-2-full-port

Quote:
The temp probes are bottoming out on the tee's. Kal, can I trim the end of the temp probes? Or will that mess with the temp readings?

You cannot trim or alter them at all. They are hollow inside and there's a sensor near the tip. (I confirmed that you purchased the temp probes from us).

The stainless tees you did not purchase from us. Ours are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/stainless-fittings/products/stainless-steel-tee-1-2-npt-female

The ones you purchased must not be as wide as the ones we sell.

Quote:
How much would that restrict the flow? I dunno.

Not sure. Probably not much. Just may be more of a pain to use.

Kal

Thanks for the info.

I did order through your links with the valves. They said they were full port, and they weren't. I used your affiliate link for the AIH valves.

I just ordered the tee's through your website.

I didn't think I could modify them. But since it's not an urgent issue, I don't mind the wait. I'm still waiting on the kettles to ship. And I have to build the control panel.

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! And thanks for supporting us through our links and our shop - it's appreciated!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Cheers! And thanks for supporting us through our links and our shop - it's appreciated!

Kal

I'm trying.

As I've said before, I live in beer city USA. over 50 breweries in town, 80 all together in the surrounding area.

Literally my next door neighbor owns and runs the Asheville Brews Cruise (please look it up if you are visiting). Today we went on a tour.

Hi-Wire Big Top:

Me hugging a huge bag of Pilsner:

A huge bag of hops:

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, HUGE update.

Look what came in the mail today!

So shiny!

Nothing like drilling holes in your brand new $400+ kettles.....

Inside the HLT:

Outside:

Mash Tun:

Boil Kettle:

Chugger pumps.

I still need to add 90's to the pumps. Order some more O-rings / washers for the kettles. Tee's are on the way. A few more parts I can't think of off the top of my head.

I used a whirlpool port for the water input on the HLT. I will also be adding another whirlpool port to the boil kettle just because.

More updates when they come in.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I was wondering if this was you!: https://www.instagram.com/pineviewbrewing/

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice.

Kal

Yep, man, you stay on top of it. My personal account is @ashevillebeerjunkie.

Next up will be the control panel. I was going to order the kit, or build it. But my dad is literally a electrical engineer, no kidding. I showed him the plans and he's going to build a panel for me using DIN rails. He is going to use as much from here as possible. That was one of the stipulations for him. Basically the outside will look the same, inside will be DIN mounted hardware.

I'm really excited to start brewing.

Since I know how to TIG weld, I plan on getting a 15.5 gallon keg and putting a 6" tri clamp fitting on the top, and a 60 degree cone on the bottom and putting legs on it. Then putting it in a stand up freezer as a fermentation chamber.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
kal wrote:

Yep, man, you stay on top of it. My personal account is @ashevillebeerjunkie.

You tagged us so it was easy! Wink

Quote:
Next up will be the control panel. I was going to order the kit, or build it. But my dad is literally a electrical engineer, no kidding. I showed him the plans and he's going to build a panel for me using DIN rails.

We can sell you a complete kit with DIN rail parts if you like (same price). It's what we do for our pre-assembled panels. This way you get everything you need all in one click, and quality parts that we can support. Just order as you would normally and mention you'd prefer DIN rail parts in the order comments: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels

We do sell all the DIN rail parts separately too: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/din-rail-components

Cheers!

Kal

DFB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome and exciting. My full basement build out is nearly complete so I can assemble the brewery now. The condensation hood just needs to be installed. Hopefully next week unless the builder decides to 'social distance' himself!

I have 95%+ of the brewery in my garage. The kettles are in transit and come Tuesday so this post we personally exciting.

Kal - I'll have to set up a thread and catch-up on what I'm doing.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFB wrote:

That's awesome and exciting. My full basement build out is nearly complete so I can assemble the brewery now. The condensation hood just needs to be installed. Hopefully next week unless the builder decides to 'social distance' himself!

I have 95%+ of the brewery in my garage. The kettles are in transit and come Tuesday so this post we personally exciting.

Kal - I'll have to set up a thread and catch-up on what I'm doing.

I'd love to see a thread on your basement. Until I move, I'll be brewing outside.

My nextdoor neighbor is the head brewer at Wicked Weed. Him and my other neighbor who owns the local brewery tour company seem way more excited than I do about finishing. They already have beer plans they wanna "help" me brew.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to report, but I am anyway.

I went to the local home brew shop in New Orleans on my way to work and it's hands down better than my local one. I'll be picking up a few 50lb bags of grain from there when I head home. I bought 50ft of hose from them.

With the coronavirus messing with my shipments, things may stall for a while. We'll see.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still shipping from our shop! Cheers!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
We're still shipping from our shop! Cheers!

Kal

Thanks, good to know. I have a lot of more stuff to order.

I work on a boat, and I don't like stuff just sitting at home. The wife gets mad lol. So when I get close to going home, I'll put in another order.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the hop stoppers today. A 4 pack of keg stoppers and a boil kettle stopper.

I added a whirlpool port, but I just added it just because. I may try to use that port for mashing out also.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to whirlpool with a Hop Stopper. In fact, it’s not recommended and add zero advantage. Check out the order pages for complete details (or the manual). Hop extraction is based on contact time and temp. You don't need to whirlpool.

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
No need to whirlpool with a Hop Stopper. In fact, it’s not recommended and add zero advantage. Check out the order pages for complete details (or the manual). Hop extraction is based on contact time and temp. You don't need to whirlpool.

Kal

Thanks for the info.

Parts have been trickling in. I found a commercial fridge on Craigslist for $30. Ad says it wasn't working. A buddy of mine that does heating and AC, looked at it and fixed it. It cost me a case of..... Labat Blue. His choice, not mine.

It's an Artic Air. Pretty nice. I haven't seen it in person yet. My buddy picked it up for me and now it's at his shop. It will be my ferm chamber until I get some small fridges.

I also found a nice commercial, but still small kegerator. But I'm hoping it's still there when I get off in 2 weeks.

Everything I need for the brewery part is en route. I just have to build it. The only thing I haven't bought is the enclosure. I'll order that when I'm close to getting off.

I am ordering a couple more things from here this week tho. Then it's onto everything else I need like grain mill, salts, ph meter, etc, etc, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find on the commercial fridge!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice find on the commercial fridge!

Kal

Thanks, but it didn't work out.

My buddy looked at it and said everything is messed up and not worth fixing. So he will keep it for spare parts.

He has another fridge I will pick up from him that's a small Pepsi fridge and I'm not sure if he still has it, he has to look in his storage. But he has a chiller that was used in the medical field for something that he was holding on to for me.

I'm really torn on what I'm gonna do about fermentation. Whatever I use, it will be outside, under a carport. I don't wanna buy fancy wine fridges that will just sit outside. Yea, they won't get rained on or anything, but still don't wanna expose the to the elements.

Ideally, I would like 2 mini fridges. I found one that I like. It's a 4.4 cu ft from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-4-4-cu-ft-Freestanding-Mini-Fridge-Silver-Mist/1000551603

I'm going with the ss brew buckets. If I buy a stand up freezer, I can add the 90 degree hose barb to the flat top. And stack them. But I also want separate control of both buckets. So I'll probably just buy the mini fridges.

I bought a "Z chiller" wort chiller. They had the square one on sale. I don't know if it will slow down the flow rate, but it looks cool.

I'm also ordering the stuff to fix this mess..... I already ordered the tees, just need the washer and o ring.

Other than the small accessories, I'm almost done.

I can't wait to have everything but grain and hops. I know this is a buy once, cry once situation. Then I'll be set for years. Still hurts my bank account!
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I’m using brewing forums (YouTube fishing videos, old hockey games, etc.) as a good escape these days. Fun to live through someone else going through a build that I went through a few years back.

Agree with the statement about buying once and doing it right. I have never regretted my Electric Brewery control panel. Brewed a batch on Wednesday night in my basement brewery and it was so peaceful. Made me realize that a dedicated brewing area was so nice in times like this.

Keep posting and we’ll keep living through you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: