Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

225's Brewery Build 2.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: 225's Brewery Build 2.0 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A few years back (more like 5-6 years ago), I built a brewery based off Kal's design.

Then, I lived in New Orleans. Since then, I moved to Asheville, NC, aka Beer City USA. With 80 breweries in a 40 mile radius, yes, 80, I haven't felt the need to start brewing again.

Living in Asheville, I've made friends with a few head brewers. And I've spent more than a few days watching and helping them during brew days.

Next year, we are moving to Louisville, Ky., and I would like to try to start a pico brewery there. So for the next year, I'm going to build a 50A panel, but only use a 20 gal setup with one burner. Then later on upgrade to bigger kettles. Eventually, I would like to be on a 3.5 BBL system.

I'm starting to order parts now to get ready to start building the kettles. Until then, here's a pic of my van LOL....

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your build!

Nice van! Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Looking forward to your build!

Nice van! Wink

Kal

Thanks.

I'm limited to space, but what makes even better now is that canning is available to the home brewer now. It's a game changer for me.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
... what makes even better now is that canning is available to the home brewer now. It's a game changer for me.

In what way? So that you can (eventually) sell your beer?

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
225 wrote:
... what makes even better now is that canning is available to the home brewer now. It's a game changer for me.

In what way? So that you can (eventually) sell your beer?

Kal

We travel a lot and love cans to take with us. It's doesn't cause as many problems as bottles. Some places bottles aren't allowed.

If I make a 10 gallon batch, I will can half of it for friends, and traveling. Whenever I get to the stage of a tap room, still a couple years out, I will have a crowler machine.

I also just love drinking out of cans instead of bottles.

Another thing I love about your system is that everything can be broken down. I don't have a garage or basement, until we buy in Louisville next year. But I already have a stainless steel table I use for stuff under my carport.

I can move everything from my shed, clean it, brew and then break it back down pretty quickly. That's what's so appealing about your system. It's so versatile.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can certainly travel well if you need something resilient! Stainless growlers work really well too if you need something that won't break and you want to re-use (no need for a canner either and they're less work). Like this: https://amzn.to/2HoaJQN

That's what I use but I use glass growlers instead as my beer doesn't get bumped around when travelling (it's usually in coolers).
Chill them, then fill at lower pressure right from the tap, close the flip top lid on foam. The beer is good for months, though I usually do it right before it's to be consumed. Sometimes not all is and it'll sit in the fridge for months and months (no worries).

If I gave away a lot of beer than I do today then cans would make sense but the cost of the cans plus the canner doesn't make sense for the way I consume / give away beer. Eveyone has different needs!

Kal

P.S. Thanks for sigining up to our forum club membership - it's appreciated!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Can certainly travel well if you need something resilient! Stainless growlers work really well too if you need something that won't break and you want to re-use (no need for a canner either and they're less work). Like this: https://amzn.to/2HoaJQN

That's what I use but I use glass growlers instead as my beer doesn't get bumped around when travelling (it's usually in coolers).
Chill them, then fill at lower pressure right from the tap, close the flip top lid on foam. The beer is good for months, though I usually do it right before it's to be consumed. Sometimes not all is and it'll sit in the fridge for months and months (no worries).

If I gave away a lot of beer than I do today then cans would make sense but the cost of the cans plus the canner doesn't make sense for the way I consume / give away beer. Eveyone has different needs!

Kal

P.S. Thanks for sigining up to our forum club membership - it's appreciated!

That's a pretty cool growler.

I'll be ordering stuff from your store later this week. Can I order a custom 2x4" tag for the control panel?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
I'll be ordering stuff from your store later this week. Can I order a custom 2x4" tag for the control panel?

We do offer custom alumimum 2x4" name tags if you order one of your control panels (either in kit form or pre-assembled): https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels

Simply email us your logo after you place your order. (Black and white JPEG image recommended, and please make sure that it fits well within a 4"x2" rectangle and that the design is not too intricate as our engraver cannot do super fine detail on an area that small - i.e. no dithering or shading - just pure black and white).

Looking forward to your order! Cheers!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by a local home brew shop and they had a Blichman 20 gal false bottom for $85. I picked it up:

Since I live in Beer City USA,

Catawba has a passport program. They come out with a small batch once a week. If you drink all of them, every quarter you get prizes, and at the end of the year they throw a big party.

Hi-Wire Big top:

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by a local home brew shop and they had a Blichman 20 gal false bottom for $85. I picked it up:

Since I live in Beer City USA,

Catawba has a passport program. They come out with a small batch once a week. If you drink all of them, every quarter you get prizes, and at the end of the year they throw a big party.

Hi-Wire Big top:

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda brewery related...

We have a tiki bar we bought at a flea market a while back. It doesn't fit anywhere really right now. But we have plans to buy next year and have a tiki bar / brewery basement. Like really go all out on it. This bar will probably stay upstairs.

We were at a flea market type place and picked up these barstools for $10 a pop. I recovered one without using the sewing machine. We didn't like the tucks, so I did it over.

Before on the right.

What the original seat cover looked like:

Both done. Excuse the mess. It's kind our catch all until we move lol.

Tiki bar:

I'd like to fit a keezer under the bar, but I think I'll put it next to it. My week project is to organize everything and work on making room for a keezer.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I was gonna send you an email, but decided to ask on here for Google search reasons.

I ordered the Greenlee 1 1/4 punch. I just need the 9/16", 13/16" punch, and 1 3/8" step drill bit?

Also, can you check my orders and make sure I have every silicone o-ring and shim for everything?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Also, I've read your article on oaking beer for barrel aging.

Last time I was in Louisville, I went to Barton Distillery and they had used whiskey barrel bungs and I bought a few bags. I used one bag for smoking a pork butt.

But I wanna either save these for a beer or get more for oaking. When you open the bag, the smell is incredible.

Now I'm working in Alabama, so I visited a few places around here.

Newly opened Braided Rivers Brewing, Mobile, Al. They still have some refining to do to their beers.

And Fairhope Brewing in Fairhope, Al. This place was cool. And the beer is good. I love what they do with their pelican logos:

Fanny pack pelican lol:

Star Wars pelican:

They have a 30 bbl system in this building w/ 60 bbl fermenters:

Bar:

Yummy IPA:

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
I ordered the Greenlee 1 1/4 punch. I just need the 9/16", 13/16" punch, and 1 3/8" step drill bit?

Depends what you're up to.

Each of the "building your brewery" articles has a list of parts and tools required. See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/building-your-brewery

Click on what you want to do and confirm with the parts and tools list required. There are lists for all.

If you need punches for everything, the ones in the master parts list are:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/greenlee-1-1-4-round-chassis-or-radio-not-conduit-pipe-punch-for-making-1-1-4-diameter-holes
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/greenlee-1-2-conduit-punch-for-making-7-8-22mm-diameter-holes
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/greenlee-9-16-round-chassis-or-radio-not-conduit-pipe-punch-for-making-9-16-diameter-holes
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/greenlee-13-16-round-chassis-or-radio-not-conduit-pipe-punch-for-making-13-16-diameter-holes
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/greenlee-36414-1-3-8-step-drill-bit

Some of these are also optional depending on how you want to do this, if you purchase things pre-punched for you. You can click on the links above to read more and see where they are used exactly.

Quote:
Also, can you check my orders and make sure I have every silicone o-ring and shim for everything?

Again, it depends exactly what you're up to. If you like let me know what that is and let me know your order numbers and I can check. Unforrtunately I don't know who "225" is in our ordering system. Wink

Cheers!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... I haven't got to the control panel yet, and I need that punch for that.

Thanks for the info.

My plans are to build a 50A Panel, but just run 20 gal kettles right now. I'm just future proofing because I will wanna run 55 gal kettles eventually.

I'm following the plans, in order, step by step. I ordered the temp probes complete. I learned my lesson about those last time. Kettles will be ordered once I have everything to assemble them.

I'm going to do everything right and not cut corners. I want this system to last years.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Any specific questions let me know!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snagged a deal on a Eagle timer. $75 on eBay. Says it's been tested and works. I've looked at PID's everywhere and the Electric Brewery store has about the same price, so I'll be ordering them from there. Same with all the panel switches. Even tho I'm a long way from getting to that. First, I have to finish the pumps / kettles / hoses.

Went with the Brew Hardware HERMS coil:

And on the boat, one of our power supplies went out. I was able to salvage the heat sink off of it. It's around 10" long and 5" wide and beefy. Free! I'm so stoked.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tower of punches...

Everything for the heating elements came in. Time to build those.

Timer:

Shiny coil:

Temp probes should be in tomorrow.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kettles and the rest of the hardware ordered. Once I have everything together, time for pumps / hoses next.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating elements are done! Still waiting on the kettles to come in. And I have everything else I need to assemble them.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered these valves on Amazon (through affiliate link) and they're outright garbage. I'm returning them. So I ordered new valves with Adventures in homebrewing. I went ahead and picked up the pumps and wort chiller also.

Thin, and not full port.

The temp probes are bottoming out on the tee's. Kal, can I trim the end of the temp probes? Or will that mess with the temp readings?

Or maybe run it like this?

How much would that restrict the flow? I dunno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: