Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating element Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Heating element Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello

So after over a year of using the panel a short happened and found some burned wires in the panel, I have since replaced them but the elements wont respond to the PID's. I have looked at the troubleshooting guide and have replaced the SSR's with ones new ones and the led lights are in sink with then ones on the PID's and still the elements are not responding and turning off when desired temps are reach.

I dont have spare PID's to test nor do I want to buy new one just to test "if" those are the problem, attached is a photo of where the burnt wire were (i pulled the screw prior to taking the photo), not sure how or why it happened after a year or so of using the panel flawlessly. is there some other way of testing the issue without swapping expensive parts as a means of troubleshooting?

Could it be the DPDT/DPST relay's that are the issue??

Thank you

Jason

panel2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.06 KB
 Viewed:  12035 Time(s)

panel2.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I believe this a panel you assembled yourself, correct?

Quote:
not sure how or why it happened after a year or so of using the panel flawlessly

Heat is created when current flows through an area that is too small to handle the amount of current. This can happen:

(a) with a loose connection where only a few strands are making contact because the wire is not properly tightened/fastened, and/or
(b) a wire that is too small to handle the current is used, and/or
(c) when a properly sized wire is used but some of the copper strands were cut/trimmed to get it to fit (this should never be done as it results in a wire that is too small)

All of these cases effectively reduce the contact area meaning that more current flows through a smaller area which in turns creates more heat which can melt the insulation on wires and damage nearby components. The heat makes metal expand/contract which in turn makes the connection worse. Eventually, over time you see the result that you're showing here.

It could also be that you’re actually pulling too much current by using oversized heating elements. This would only be possible if an incorrectly sized breaker was installed in the electrical panel (larger than 30 or 50 amps, depending on your control panel size) as otherwise the breaker would pop if more than 30A or 50A was pulled. A 30A or 50A breaker should be used (sized for your control panel) per our control panel instructions.

I would look first to where all the heat is created. If a wire is melting like we're seeing, it's likely the closest spot to the bad connection. In your case it bet it was most likely a poor crimp or a loose screw.

It may also be a bad part that caused the overheat, but that's rarer and from your picture it definitely originated from the crimp/screw.

You also mentioned you had a short somewhere and that's a whole other issue. I'm not sure what you mean by that or what the impact was. How did a short happen?

Quote:
I dont have spare PID's to test

If this is indeed one of our panel kits, you have 3 PIDs so you can use one of the others to test. In fact, the BOIL and HLT sides are identical so you can swap parts to test, hopefully without even having to remove them. Just move the wires over. You can do this systematically to find out where the issue is, or follow the troubleshooting guide here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460
Specifically the section "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously)". It'll walk you down the line from PID -> SSR -> RELAY -> ELEMENT so that you can figure out what part is bad. Do that and test with a multimeter and you won't have to remove and rewire anything. It'll let you know what part is bad.

I hope this helps,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec, re-reading what you wrote you mentioned "the elements wont respond to the PID's". Neither element work?

I think we need to understand a bit better what this short was that happened and what damage it caused.

What relay is shown in your picture where the loose connection happened?

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal

This is a kit I assembled myself and all the wires were tight and have had many brew days since assembling it without an issue.... not sure what happened or what caused it to short out, one minute i'm brewing and then the breaker tripped. After I noticed that the element stayed on continuously I checked the panel and found the burnt wire and everything was tight as far as the screws go. Been trying to trouble shoot it for a few weeks now without resolve of what it could be. I would swap out the pids but both are doing the same thing. when the PID's show the element on then the SSR led shows on when the PID's show off then the SSR led is off but the elements stay on. The photo in question is the boil kettle relay and that particular wire is the one that jumps from the HLT relay (See Photo) which could have fried the DSPD relays of both the Boil and HLT. Also the yellow lights for the elements are not corresponding to when the element is on and off its always on. This leads me to believe that the DSPD relays are the issue but again I dont want to swap out with new one if thats not the case and was hoping there was another means of testing.

Thanks

Jason

diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.19 KB
 Viewed:  12019 Time(s)

diagram.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrewCrew wrote:
This is a kit I assembled myself and all the wires were tight and have had many brew days since assembling it without an issue....

Yes, that's the normal behaviour if something loosens over time. he picture shows that something definitely came lose over time as I mentioned above until it got to the point when current flowed through a smaller area melting some of the crimp and wiring. This typically happens if something was lose to start with. It's best to check and retighten any high voltage/current connections after a few uses to make sure things are done well. We see this from time to time from people who built themselves (not trying to pick on you specifically!). Wink

Quote:
not sure what happened or what caused it to short out, one minute i'm brewing and then the breaker tripped. After I noticed that the element stayed on continuously I checked the panel and found the burnt wire and everything was tight as far as the screws go.

Ah! So we don't actually know if something shorted out but it's one possible reason.

What wattage heating elements are you using?

Quote:
Been trying to trouble shoot it for a few weeks now without resolve of what it could be. I would swap out the pids but both are doing the same thing. when the PID's show the element on then the SSR led shows on when the PID's show off then the SSR led is off but the elements stay on. The photo in question is the boil kettle relay and that particular wire is the one that jumps from the HLT relay (See Photo) which could have fried the DSPD relays of both the Boil and HLT. Also the yellow lights for the elements are not corresponding to when the element is on and off its always on. This leads me to believe that the DSPD relays are the issue but again I dont want to swap out with new one if thats not the case and was hoping there was another means of testing.

This is odd. If the BOIL and HLT relays are always closed (allowing current to pass) the corresponding ELEMENT ON lights should not be on all the time. They should only be on when the relays are closed *AND* the SSRs are closed (because the PIDs are telling the SSRs to close). In fact, you could bypass the BOIL and HLT relays completely and just wire directly and it should still work the same way (these mechnical relays are there for safety only).

So something doesn't make sense here. I would grab a multimeter and start checking voltages to see if what you see with the lights on the PID and SSR are in fact correct.

What's very odd is that both sides (boil and hlt) are doing the same thing. They're completely separate.

Are you sure something isn't mis-wired?

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What wattage heating elements are you using?

I'm using 5500 watt element

Quote:
So something doesn't make sense here. I would grab a multimeter and start checking voltages to see if what you see with the lights on the PID and SSR are in fact correct.

I wouldn't even know where to start with checking with a multi meter. I don't even own one

Quote:
Are you sure something isn't mis-wired?

I haven't changed anything and all was working flawlessly for like over 30 brews. unless a fairy went in there and changed the wiring, but I will check again. Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrewCrew wrote:
I wouldn't even know where to start with checking with a multi meter. I don't even own one

Any $20 model will do, if you want something better that'll outlive you, see my recommendations in the troubleshooting thread:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

The "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously)" testing instructions in that same thread does give a few tips of where to measure, but if you don't know how to use one then it's going to be very hard to troubleshoot other than swapping parts until you find out the issue. The problem with doing that if if there are two parts that are defective and you're only swapping one at a time you may never find it.

That said, a multimeter is very simple to use. You only want to measure AC voltage here to troubleshoot so you'd set it to AC VOLTS, in a range that can measure from 0 to 240V (or higher) and then use the two probes across where the voltage should be or where you suspect it should be (or shouldn't be) to see what you get. For example, if the HLT element isn't turning on and you think you should have 240V at the HLT ELEMENT RECEPTACLE at the bottom of the panel measure between the two spades that supply power to see. No 240V? Go up to the HLT RELAY output and measure across there. Still no 240V? Then the relay's not passing 240V. Go up to the HLT RELAY input and measure across there. Still not 240V? The relay's not receiving 240V from the SSR. Go up there ... and so forth.

In your case with neither element getting power I'd probably work backwards and start right at the power input as it's odd that both stopped working. I'd almos suspect your wall receptacle possibly.

Do you have any any pictures of the panel on? Do the pumps work? Does the voltmeter show 240V?

Your 30A wall outlet looks like this:

I would measure there first as follows (this requires a multimeter set to AC 240v or higher):

LEFT HOT & NEUTRAL (should show 120V AC)
RIGHT HOT & NEUTRAL (should show 120V AC)
LEFT HOT & RIGHT HOT (should show 240V AC)
NEUTRAL & GROUND (should show 0V AC)
LEFT HOT & GROUND (should show 120V AC)
RIGHT HOT & GROUND (should show 120V AC)

If you have anything other than that, you have a problem with your house wiring or breaker.

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In your case with neither element getting power

The panel works the pumps work and the elements are working but they are not turning off i'm getting continuous voltage to the elements even when it hit the temperatures they just keep heating till mass boil or when I turn them off and that's the problem I'm getting ..... the last brew day I had to manually turn off and on the elements cause it would just keep heating without stopping...... no worries i guess i'm not explaining it properly I will just leave it for now as i don't have the time or money to put into this anymore thanks for your help

jason
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the voltmeter show 240V when the panel is on?

Last but not least, can you take a picture of the front of the panel when it's running past your set setting? I want to look at the lights. You may simply be in manual model and displaying the auto mode settings (and not realizing it).

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the panel shows 240 when turned on

attached are 2 pictures

the one label panelabove means the set value is high then perceived value

and the panelbelow is the set value is below the perceived value

on both you will see the yellow light on and the amps are at 22.9 and the element is on regardless

Quote:
You may simply be in manual model and displaying the auto mode settings (and not realizing it).

is this is the case then someones been messing with something.

thanks

Jason

panelbelow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.34 KB
 Viewed:  11977 Time(s)

panelbelow.jpg

panelabove.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.25 KB
 Viewed:  11977 Time(s)

panelabove.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

In both cases we're dealing with the HLT PID. I see the A/M light is off which is good. It means you're in AUTOMATIC mode which means you set the temperature. You set SV to whatever temp you want, and it'll heat up.

In the PANELABOVE pic where the SV (set value) is below the measured PV (process value) the green "OUT" light on the HLT PID is on which is normal. The PID wants to fire the SSR to get up the PV up to SV. The yellow ELEMENT ON light is good meaning the SSR is firing. Good.

In the PANELBELOW pic where the SV (set value) is already above the measured PV (process value) the green "OUT" light on the HLT PID is off which is also normal. This is good. The PID does not want to fire the SSR, but the yellow ELEMENT ON light is still on meaning that the SSR is not firing. That's not good.

SSRs do fail sometimes in rare occasions but what's odd is that you mentioned both sides (BOIL and HLT) are doing exactly the same thing. The odds of two SSRs failing at exactly the same time doesn't seem plausible.

This is all separate from your lose wiring connection issue however. Or maybe it isn't? If you're not sure how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot I would replace one SSR and see what happens. If you have someone nearby who knows how to use a multimeter maybe see if they can help too - someone knowledgeable should be able to quickly test. Good luck!

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the thing I already replaced the SSR with a brand new one that works in a different panel and still the same behavior ..... only thing I can think of is both PID’s are fried or the relay dpdt relays are remaining closed all the time no??
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PIDs are fried and always sending an output signal to fire the SSRs then yes, that could be it. You'd see the SSRs red light as on too (that would be a good confirmation) or measure the DC voltage on the SSR inputs. It should be 0V DC if the PID is not firing and around 12V DC when firing.

As I mentioned above if the DPDT relays remained closed all the time it wouldn't change anything. They only *allow* current to pass. The SSRs have to also fire and close (and they are normally controlled by the PIDs).

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will procure a meter from work and see if I can measure something
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you find out!

For what it's worth, we do get asked by people who build our kits to have us fix issues for them, but it's usually always going to be simpler/easier to fix a part yourself and we're here to help! It's usually something very simple and all parts are easy for the end user to replace themselves. That's how we designed it.

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i tried using this multi meter but not getting any readings so I must be using it wrong or testing the wrong thing.... is there a particular setting I should use or return this crap.

meter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.22 KB
 Viewed:  11891 Time(s)

meter.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably trying to to measure AC volts right now right?

Right now you have it set to measure up to 20V DC (the DC voltages ranges are the settings with the little V with the solid and dotted line underneath). Turn the dial clockwise to the V with a squiggle under it (that's AC) and put it on the 300 setting. That will let you measure up to 300V AC.

If you want to measure the SSR input, switch it back to 20V DC, but most other places you want to use 300 volts AC.

You also need to plug in the leads. Wink

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I get 14V at the SSR when Firing and 0v when not firing but the element remains off when at 0volts not sure where else to test
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my previous suggestions above here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331560#331560

Kal

BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
See my previous suggestions above here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331560#331560

that's the thing .... the element do work I get 240v at the outlet and prongs under the panel cause the power is getting there..... the element are not turning off when temps are reached. even when i pull the temp probe out usually they turn off but now they still heat up. Thanks for the help anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: