Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Vinyl flooring

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Vinyl flooring Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Would appreciate any guidance on people who have used vinyl plank flooring (I'm using CORETEC PLUS XL ENHANCED specifically) in their brewery. Any issues with having all the heavy brewery items on it? IE brew table, fermenters, coolers. Everything I've read and been told is just avoid placing cabinets and bars on the flooring.

Thanks for the input
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this type of flooring in my bathroom and kitchen- It looks great and is holding up well (has been almost three years since instillation). However, I cannot speak to its ability to withstand heavy loads..
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
I have used this type of flooring in my bathroom and kitchen- It looks great and is holding up well (has been almost three years since instillation). However, I cannot speak to its ability to withstand heavy loads..

Thanks. Is the flooring under the fridge and oven? I figure these are similar heavy loads so that would be helpful to know.
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFB wrote:
Thanks. Is the flooring under the fridge and oven? I figure these are similar heavy loads so that would be helpful to know.

Oven no- have a double oven wall mount/cabinet set up. Fridge yes and no issues.
pinbrew

Drinking: Amber Ale

Working on: Electric Hop Candy Jr., Toy Soldier Stout, Crispy Pils

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vinyl plank in mine, and it's held up reasonably well. indentations where the brew table legs are, because you have four small pads that carry a fair bit of weight, but nothing that makes me argh. Hasn't deformed joints or planks outside the immediate area, and it's pretty shallow (1-2mm). Still happy with it, and the only annoyance has been some curling where I didn't lay quarter round down. Will fix that in the spring.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl flooring Reply with quote

DFB wrote:
Everything I've read and been told is just avoid placing cabinets and bars on the flooring.

Really? Where are you reading this?

The specs are here: http://www.usfloorsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/USF%20COREtec%20Plus%20XL%20Enhanced%20Technical%20Specification.pdf

All weight loading or impact specs are Commercial or Heavy Commercial rated:

NALFA 3.5 Large Ball Impact Resistance: Class 4, Heavy Commercial
NALFA 3.6 Small Ball Impact Resistance: Class 4, Heavy Commercial
NALFA 3.9 Caster Chair: Class 3, Commercial

Ratings go from:

Class 1 Residential
Class 2 Light Commercial
Class 3 Commercial
Class 4 Heavy Commercial

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl flooring Reply with quote

Kal - Thanks. Definitely appreciate that you seem to always check up on us and help on almost every thread! Hope you still have time to brew beer! lol. Interesting tech specs as I hadn't actually seen that one. I agree it suggests its strong stuff but I can't interpret these to say if you can put cabinets on top of it. Going to do some more research on the ratings tonight.

kal wrote:
DFB wrote:
Everything I've read and been told is just avoid placing cabinets and bars on the flooring.

Really? Where are you reading this? l

This is from the installation directions: "COREtec is engineered to be installed utilizing the floating method. Do not install cabinets or fixed objects on top of the COREtec."

http://www.usfloorsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/USF-COREtec-Plus-Angle-Tap-Installation-Instructions.pdf

I've found another reference today which said:

"If cabinets are to be installed on top of the flooring (including islands), that area of material must be fully adhered to the subfloor (including an additional 2’ beyond the cabinets and islands)."

https://pdmsview.shawinc.com/viewer/doc/5089 (different url but this is from the cortec manufacture too)

Based on all of this I'm guessing cabinets can be placed on the flooring but it should be glued in that location.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I see what you're getting at about putting heavy cabinetry directly on the flooring. Maybe they simply don't want to guarantee what may happen if you do that? (i.e. not something they can easily test). When in doubt best to follow manufacturer directions.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: