Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Help Please. Lost Key

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Help Please. Lost Key Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I can't find my key to turn on the control panel. I have the big key to open the box. Can I bypass the lock inside? How?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I see that you purchased our Standard 30A Electric Brewery Control Panel (Pre-Assembled) back in 2015: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels/products/standard-30a-electric-brewery-control-panel

The POWER switch keys are matched the actual switch. Two keys are provided. If you've lost both keys the switch has to be replaced. A new switch is (with 2 new keys) is available here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/switches/products/2-position-maintained-selector-switch-with-key

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal.
Just ordered a new one.
Stupid..Stupid..Stupid..
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!

I recommend putting one of the two keys away somewhere safe, just in case! Then if you lose the main one, you can make copy and not have to replace the switch.

Kal

chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's a funny thing. I did the same and lost both keys for my Kal control panel just a short while ago. I had self-assembled the panel as a kit from Kal's suppliers several years ago. Meanwhile, a couple of years later, I had also built a much smaller control panel for my 50L Braumeister and accompanying small HLT (just one PID and a timer). For this panel I purchased a locking switch from a completely different supplier in the UK. Thinking it wouldn't work, I tried the UK key in the Kal control panel and it worked perfectly. Which leads me to believe that all these type of switching key locks have a very limited key cut distinction.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea. I tried several other keys but no luck.
I can't believe after over 4 years of brewing with this fantastic system, I lost the key.
Since the key(s) were always one of two places - either in the control panel, or hanging on a key caddie, I never bothered to separate the two. I have no idea what happened to them since the last brew session.
My system is set up in a heated garage with no little ones around. When the replacement arrives I might as well keep one key in the control panel, and store the other one.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider if you're prone to losing keys or don't care for the looking feature: Use a regular switched instead of a keyed switch.

In other words, use this: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/switches/products/2-position-maintained-selector-switch

Instead of this: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/switches/products/2-position-maintained-selector-switch-with-key

We can also accomodate this for anyone wanting this for their pre-assembled control panel or control panel kit.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: