Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Pump Assembly Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwshields

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Pump Assembly Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am following the instructions on the pump assembly found here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/pumps?page=4

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time attempting to get the elbow piece on my pumps to face outward. All attempts of tightening have failed. Is there some trick to this step I am missing?

I appreciate the help!

2.jpg
 Description:
pump
 Filesize:  24.87 KB
 Viewed:  5332 Time(s)

2.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
elbow assembly
 Filesize:  13.53 KB
 Viewed:  5332 Time(s)

1.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! You should always be able to do another half turn if needed - using a bigger wrench works. The other option is if you're going extremely tight already, don't - stop when it's lined up half a turn earlier.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rwshields

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I kept trying and just couldn’t get it.

I went out and bought a new elbow and it worked perfectly. The threads on my original one must have been messed up...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out!

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad someone posted this topic as I always struggle with this, but resorted to what Kal says above and that seems to work fine. I’ve considered switching most of my brewery over to Tri-Clamp stuff, but just not sold on the benefit vs. the money.

Kal, your thoughts on Tri-Clamp vs. threaded?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
Kal, your thoughts on Tri-Clamp vs. threaded?

Funny, someone was just asking me this on Instagram last night as they were asking about my preference of Blichmann kettles vs others that may have tri-clamp (TC) on them. I need to add some info on this as I redo the build intructions, but here's my short answer:

There are cerrtainly many different types of kettles available today but if I had to buy again, I'd still do Blichmann as I love their borosilicate sight glasses as for me and how I brew (see my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide) it really makes life easier. Etched markings inside the kettle like many others have are frankly a pain (kettle has to be opened, can't use level markers like a binder clip) and useless (there's often foam and the level jumps around when boiling so you have no idea on the volume). Etchings are much cheaper to build.

I use both tri-clamp (TC) and quick disconnects (QD) in my brewery where it makes sense: TC on the cold side (fermentation), QD on the hot side (wort creation). TCs are a paint to use (more work, require 2 hands, etc) but are sanitary so I use them where sanitary makes sense which is the cold side. They're pointless on the hot side as everything will be boiled anyway, and there's absolutely nothing sanitary about the most vessels on the hot side anyway. For example, the grain you dump into your MLT is not sanitary. Each sack of malt has a certain allowable amount of rat/mouse hair and feces (yummy) as per the FDA, just like a box of breakfast cereal. So having TC fittings on a kettle where you dump unsanitary stuff in every time you brew is pointless and just creates more work/cost. TC is easier to take completely apart to sanitize but again, that's not required / there's no point.

I think people use TC because they like the look and are mis-guided by sellers because it's sanitary (true, but irrelevant on the hot side). By all means use it on the cold side where it's really beneficial. TC is also used extensively everywhere on the hot side for large pro sized brewery setups simply due to the size of the vessels required. On our homebrew sized setups (under 100 gallons) it's just not required and will only make the setup harder to use everything you got use it.

Cost aside (TC is more expensive) if I had to rebuilt everything today I'd still do QD on the hot side and only use TC on the cold side.

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: