Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Corny Keg Level Sense

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnierer

Drinking: Electric Hop Candy

Working on: Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Corny Keg Level Sense Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have Corny Kegs that have a Level Sense Dip tube with a rubber stopper on the end, when energized the stopper floats at the liquid level. See attached photo of the level sense connector. I will trade someone 2 new in box corny kegs with level sense if you can help me built a digital readout for a 3 keg system to report the level in each keg.

Inside Keg.jpg
 Description:
Inside of Keg
 Filesize:  66.63 KB
 Viewed:  10171 Time(s)

Inside Keg.jpg

Keg.jpg
 Description:
Top of Keg
 Filesize:  235.21 KB

Keg.jpg

Level Sense connector.jpg
 Description:
Level Sense Connector
 Filesize:  194.05 KB

Level Sense connector.jpg

Level Sense Connector.pdf
 Description:
Level Connector instructions

Download
 Filename:  Level Sense Connector.pdf
 Filesize:  205.33 KB
 Downloaded:  512 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is this "Level Sense" dip tube and how does it work? i.e. How's it supposed to work today? What does the 1/4" headphone style jack plug in to normally? Googling gives me nothing about it.

Where does one buy corny kegs with "Level Sense"? Where did you get them?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dnierer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother in law bought a number of these at an auction, I know they are manufactured by Abbott Laboratories. The information on the box indicates these are "Qwikwash Water Cannister" part no. LN 6208-20, for use with Abbott Commander PPC and Qwikwash Instruments. There is another number on the label 43968-102. I can't find anything on google either. I have know idea how they work.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

There appears to be something stuck to to the bottom of the dip tube, so I asked because I understand how it can know level. Was curious to read more, but if you're not finding anything by Googling part numbers or company names, we may be SOL.

If it's a sensor at the bottom of the keg, it may only be able to let you know when the keg is empty. I don't undertand how it can know how full a keg is so that's why I'm asking for more info. Many have tried to come up with reliable ways to measure remaning keg volume devices. Some of them quite expensive. I use the old fashioned way: I lift it slightly to see how much I think is left. Doesn't need to be accurate for me, I'm usually just curious if it's around 20% full or 80% full.

Either way, good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a mag float sensor. The ones that I have seen operate this way. The one that you can see magnetically couples with one inside the tube. As it moves up or down the tube, the inner one moves with it. As the inner one moves it changes the resistance in a circuit that translates into volume.
dnierer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would I energize it and measure the resistance? I can follow direction real well, but wouldn't even know where to begin on something like this?
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for that part I am unsure. I did find what a PPC looks like though. https://www.ssllc.com/product/abbot-commander-parallel-processing-center-220397 I would also give Cornelius a call since they are the ones that made it. https://www.cornelius.com/
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an ohm meter on the plug and start filling up the keg. See if the ohm meter changes and by how much. If indeed it changes, go online and look for a fuel leval gauge for that same ohm range and use it as a level indicator.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember when, but I may have run across a mag level device similar to this in an ad in BYO magazine some time ago... Conceptually, the resistance range can be converted to voltage. If the resistance can be converted to a 0 to 5 volt DC signal, an open source microprocessor (like an Arduino) could be programmed to accept and convert the 0 - 5 volt signal to a 10-bit 0 to 1023 resolution digital signal. From there, the door's wide open - the digital signal could be sent to an LCD display and beyond.

I did something like this with a 0-5 vDC pressure sensor connected to a spunding valve and Arduino. Was able to get an LCD display of the keg pressure.

If I run across the ad again, I'll do some digging - really interesting project though.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the experimental set up looked something like the pics. Though now, it's all cleaned up and mounted in a small control panel I bought at Home Depot. The breadboard was replaced with connected wiring. I imagine something like this could be set-up to display % level in a keg. Hope this helps.

ard-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.78 KB
 Viewed:  10035 Time(s)

ard-2.jpg

ard-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.33 KB
 Viewed:  10035 Time(s)

ard-1.jpg

dnierer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for the suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: