Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Outdoor type timer for dryer plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squid

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Outdoor type timer for dryer plugs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all.
I like to start my brew day early so I wrap up around before noon and start on the honey-do list. I don't like, however, getting up early to wait for my mash water to reach temp for grain additions.

I was hoping that a plug in type timer existed that could accommodate our dryer plugs so that the mash water would be at operating temps when I wake up.

Would anyone know of such a product, or Kal - could something be hardwired in the control panel?

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat it ~20 degrees hotter the night before then turn it off and and throw a few towels on top of the HLT lid and you'll be surprised how well it holds heat through the night. By slightly overheating it'll be ready to go in the morning. It's also free (you can do it now at no cost). You have to fill with water and prime the pumps anyway the night before and make sure that everything is working and flowing correctly (or at least you should).

This way with you in front of the setup is considerably safer than having something as powerful as a brewing setup auto-start in the morning while the whole family is still sleeping. I'm not overly comfortable with that idea and don't recommend it unless you ensure you have interlocks in place to turn off elements if the water level drops or similar. For example, what if the kettle leaked out overnight (i.e. hose wasn't properly connected)? What if the pump stops working when you're not there? There's something to be said about being in front of a powerful brewing setup when it's in use, for safety reasons, especially if it's something you built yourself.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Squid

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had misgivings as well regarding the unit starting without me there At my age I value my sleep, what little I get so was hoping for a plug and play timer to facilitate it.

That being said - I do prime the pumps and lines the night before, as well as add the brewing salts. I think it's a good idea to heat it up at the time and place towels over it. I have also considered insulating the kettles, so this may be the motivation I needed.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't (personally) bother with the insulation as going ~20 degrees hotter will make sure that it's hot enough and ready to go the next day. I've done this quite often. I'm usually prepping stuff the night before and hook up the hoses anyway, so might as well heat it up.

Good luck!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also do the preheat the night before but don't use any pumps or hoses, easier to wrap up without the hoses on there. i just check the temp with a handheld thermometer every once in a while while heating. now it is at the point where i have used it enough that i just let it go 45 minutes and turn it off. sure, its probably pretty stratified in the hlt but come morning, that all gets properly mixed in a few seconds once the pump is running.

my typical mo in the morning is take off the towels, hook up the hoses, start heating/recirc and then fill the mlt/recirc. then it is off to the bathroom and by the time i get back, everything is ready to go. Razz
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works too! I'm probably too paranoid that I'll forget it's running so I always just set the HLT temp to ~20 degrees above mash temp and recirculate. This way if I forget, it'll still be at that temp in the morning. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: