Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

MLT Hose

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: MLT Hose Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After reading a post in these forums, (probably this post http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31162&highlight=mlt+hose), about MLT hose length. I was more aware of the hose used in the MLT for mashing during my brew session on September 14th. I ensured I used a the recommended silicone length and sat the hose on top of the mash.

I do see in this Step By Step instructions (http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6) "Place the hose back in the kettle on top of the grain bed as shown in the picture below. The hose may sink in a bit or be mostly submerged. This is normal. Place the lid back on the Mash/Lauter Tun."

The hose did sink and push up the grain bed. I didn't think this is good (lifting up the grain bed).

Is the mashing OK with the lifted grain bed (caused by the hose sinking)?

Or, should I use a different length hose in the MLT?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

MLT hose build instructions with picstures are here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/mash-lauter-tun
I use a 5' length with my 20 gallon kettles. Length isn't overly critical. The 5 foot length ensures that I can brew any batch size regardless of how much grain is used in my kettle size and that the hose can rest on top of the grain bed. The hose isn't used to hold the grain bed down. The grain bed floating is fine. If you use my recommended parts (including kettles and false bottom) and follow my brewing process you'll still get ~95% mash efficiency which is very high.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks. I guess I was more cognizant of the raising grain bed and other potential problems after experiencing a hose leak at the band. I'm using the recommended smooth band clamps. Hose was cut at the hose clamp and leaking. Any other suggestions for silicone hose clamps other than the smooth band clamps? I do know the regular worm drive clamps dig in and damage the silicone tubing.

BeerSmith indicates I achieved 94.2% mash efficiency and 86% brewhouse efficiency. I know these numbers are just for fun and we really shouldn't get to anal about them, but I do like to compare the numbers to prior brews to spot problems, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
I'm using the recommended smooth band clamps. Hose was cut at the hose clamp and leaking. Any other suggestions for silicone hose clamps other than the smooth band clamps? I do know the regular worm drive clamps dig in and damage the silicone tubing.

Strange! Without seeing the setup and how it's been used it's hard to offer other suggestions. I don't understand why your hose was cut. It should not be as you mentioned.

Quote:
BeerSmith indicates I achieved 94.2% mash efficiency and 86% brewhouse efficiency. I know these numbers are just for fun and we really shouldn't get to anal about them, but I do like to compare the numbers to prior brews to spot problems, etc.

I would say it's definitely good to compare between your own brews as that's what provides consistency from batch to batch. Consistent numbers means consistent beers.

The fun part is comparing to other brewers. (i.e. At the end of the day how your numbers compare to other brewers do not matter and won't improve your beers or make them more consistent.)

Cheers!

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is your setup. Photos are in the photo section. Built the control panel from the predrilled kit of parts. Blichmann V1 kettles. Followed the EB instructions.

Seems when the smooth band clamp cuts the silicone tubing it's a slit type cut at the hose clamp. Perhaps I am making too tight? However, I don't want leaks.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing of statistics I keep time for all the steps. Created a spreadsheet (aka Brewing Steps Analysis) to analyze the times against each other overall, for the 60 minute boils and for the 90 minute boils. This way I know, for the post part, how long each step will take. I can also spot problems and, hopefully, make adjustments. Saturday was my 11th brew using my EB. Best overall brewday at 8 hours 27 minutes. This is start to clean up finish. Time doesn't include step 1 (milling the grain) as I do step 1 the night before brewing.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Perhaps I am making too tight?

Possibly! You can see pics of how tight I made mine here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses?page=4

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the instructions direct one to "Tighten the hose clamp using a screwdriver...". I initially began with a screwdriver, but the screwdriver kept slipping out of the slot. Switch to a 1/4" hand nut driver. Similar to http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-4-in-nut-driver/p-00941971000P in an attempt to prevent slipping.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter how you tighten, unless the screwdriver slipped and nicked or cut the hose?

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, slipped screwdriver didn't come into contact with the silicone hose. Sometimes the nut is wet and the screwdriver head slips (probably wouldn't happen with a Phillips slot). Went to the nut driver to eliminate slipping, but I do think, perhaps, I am over tightening.

I think the slits are happening from the hose movement. Cleaning the hoses, hanging the hoses, moving the hoses, etc probably puts a lot of torque on the band area and the silicone hose, being soft/weak, cuts.

The leaks I've encountered don't happen immediately. In other words, the slit in the hose doesn't happen from tightening (at least using the smooth band. Use the regular garden hose band clamp and the silicone hose usually immediately leaks). The leak/slit in the hose happens over time.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's curious! I've been using the same hose now since 2008 and no leaks or cuts. You may be right that it's overtightened.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: