Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Adding RIMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normoxic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Adding RIMS Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all,

I'm thinking about trying to tie my RIMS systems into the Mash Tun PID in the 50A control box. The wiring shouldn't be any issue, but I'm a little concerned about having space to get an extra switch, light, and socket in punched in. Has anybody tried this already?

Thanks!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brainstorming here but you could move your two element switches to one 3-way switch (Boil-off-HLT) and than use the open switch for RIMs.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Normoxic!

What's your goal here exactly? You mention you already have one of our 50A Electric Brewery Control Panels - which one? Are you already using HERMS today? Why also add RIMS?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 - 3 way switches for mine, one for (boil) - (hlt) and one for (boil-hlt) - (Rims)

Last edited by Ozarks Mountain Brew on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Normoxic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and all the feedback so far!

Some more detail on what I am trying to do. What I currently have is a natural gas system that uses a home made RIMS unit to keep the Mash Tun warm. I've finally gotten to the point where I would rather switch to all electric, mostly for the convenience of being able to brew inside. I don't have the kind of ventilation needed to use my NG system indoors. So my ideal situation is to use something like the electric brewery 50A panel setup for back-to-back batches to replicate/upgrade my current capabilities. I did spend a lot of time thinking about just switching to HERMS, but I've become attached to RIMS. I guess its just sentimental. After looking at the control box specs online I noticed the Mash Tun PID is reading temp, but not controlling anything. So I figured I could keep my RIMS heating element assembly but get rid of some clutter if I could tie it into the Mash Tun PID. It seems like the best of both worlds.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 50A back to back panel here sounds ideal: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels
Simply use the HLT PID to drive your RIMS element.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Normoxic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: