Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Porter water profile from beersmith

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Porter water profile from beersmith Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am doing my first water adjustment for my brew tomorrow. I have used EZ and BS and the salt levels differ greatly. The sodium beersmith suggests for a porter are very high, and almost everywhere is recommending lower sodium levels.

I also read an exbeeriment on high sodium vs low sodium beers, and the tasters all picked the higher sodium beers as being better, so I am at a cross roads.

Any suggestions on the porter profile from beersmith?

Beer smiths "porter water profile"

CA - 141
Mag - 10
sodium - 100
sulfate - 100
chloride - 300 (its recommend 0-250) and is red on BS
bicarbonate - 50

and the final numbers with my water profile and salt additions

ca - 146
mag - 18.4
sodium - 104.6
sulfate - 97.9
chloride - 297.1
bicarbonate - 119

The sodium, and chloride levels seem a bit high, and I have to add lots of epsom and salt.

thoughts/suggestions?
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EZ water profile, I used the deschuttes black porter recipe from Electric brewery's water profile, and I may just go with that, as I do not like the sodium and other numbers and additions from beersmith. I will adjust PH accordingly, I just bought a HALO ph meter, and am excited to use it!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That's what I'd use as well, though it really depends on what you're after. There isn't necessarily "one" right water profile for a beer.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yup. That's what I'd use as well, though it really depends on what you're after. There isn't necessarily "one" right water profile for a beer.

Kal

On EZ water with your deschuttes profile, it says chlorid/sulfite ratio is low, and will end up being more bitter.

Beersmiths ratio says extremely malty. My target is to have a malty porter, with a silky mouthfeel. Should I add salt? and try and adjust your porter profile to have higher sodium and a higher chloride to sulfate ratio? Do you think the beersmith settings will ruin/do good?

I kind of want to try the beer smith profile, but I dont know about the almost 300 chloride, and lower sulfate. What are your thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

A section:

Chloride (Cl): Accentuates flavour by making a beer fuller bodied, rounder, and to appear sweeter. May taste salty above 250 ppm and will affect yeast health above 300 ppm. Typical brewing range is 0-250 ppm.

Sulphate (SO4): Accentuates hop bitterness/dryness/crispness. May become astringent above 400 ppm. Typical brewing range is 50-350ppm.

Chloride at almost 300 will most certainly accentuate flavour. Lower sulphate will not accentuate hop bitterness/dryness/crispness.

Without brewing your recipe with these numbers I don't know how it'll turn out. 300 Chloride sounds very high to me, but that doesn't mean it won't meet your needs. Try it a few different ways and see. That's what I do. Again, there's no right or wrong answer.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add too that my Deschuttes Black Butte Porter recipe is very smooth with a silky mouthfeel too.

Remember that water adjustments can’t make a beer hoppy or malty. Only accentuate what’s there. So when your software says "extremely malty" (or extremely bitter) what they really mean is "may accentuate existing maltiness" (or bitterness). No amount of water adjustment will take a 5 IBU Corona and turn it into a West Coast IPA. Wink

Good luck!

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I should add too that my Deschuttes Black Butte Porter recipe is very smooth with a silky mouthfeel too.

Remember that water adjustments can’t make a beer hoppy or malty. Only accentuate what’s there. So when your software says "extremely malty" (or extremely bitter) what they really mean is "may accentuate existing maltiness" (or bitterness). No amount of water adjustment will take a 5 IBU Corona and turn it into a West Coast IPA. Wink

Good luck!

Kal

Great point
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: