Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

What is everyone's thoughts on yeast dumps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: What is everyone's thoughts on yeast dumps? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Original post by alphakry was accidentally deleted so I grabbed the text and am quoting here:

alphakry wrote:
What is everyone's thoughts on yeast dumps?

The last time I brewed this, I believe I was far too anxious to get it into kegs and dumped the yeast too early, not giving it a proper amount of time for a DMS rest and hence it having a buttery after taste. amateur move...

I am now nearing the point on my latest batch where gravity has been steady for about 4-5 days and believe this would be the normal time to be dumping the yeast, with the goal of reducing the chance of off flavors caused by dead yeast.

Do you follow this same thought & process?

Hi! I've never had issues following the process I outline in the recipe. I wouldn't worry about the chance of off flavours from yeast autolysis at homebrew sized batches - it won't happen. People have left beer for months in small primary fermenters without issues. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! I had meant to post this in the blonde ale post - but you’re quick!! I had deleted it only minutes later but you already replied! If you’d like, please delete this message and move your reply there for continuity! And thank you for your reply and thoughts!
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already nuked the other one... Wink

Given that your question's not recipe specific, I've split it and created a new thread in the "Yeast & Fermentation" sub-forum.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to know that there is no real need in your opinion to dump.

Looking at process guides elsewhere, they advise the dump even before the DMS rest, rather advising "When fermentation has slowed - about 7-10 days after your brew day" - just before cold crashing. I was comfortable doing the dump in my 1BBL conical the first time around, assuming I was minimizing the chance of pulling up much sediment once I start rotating that racking arm down... but I can give it a go not dumping and see what differences I notice.

It seems to me there wouldn't be much harm in the dump unless done too early and not allowing the DMS rest.

I did slap my pressure gauge onto the conical once gravity steadied - and I've noticed the CO2 has slowly built up to about 5PSi by now... so I guess even at this point of "completion", theres still a bit going on in there.

Last edited by alphakry on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
That's good to know there's no real need in your opinion to dump. Looking at process guides elsewhere, they advise the dump even before the DMS rest, rather advising "When fermentation has slowed - about 7-10 days after your brew day" - just before cold crashing.

How old are these guides? That used to be the thought 20+ years ago when yeast was a lot worst but with today's yeast you'll do more harm than good pulling beer off yeast early.

Generally speaking with fermentation it's worst to do something early than do nothing at all. It pays to be lazy with fermentation.

Give my ferment and package guide a read: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

Cheers!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How old are these guides?

Spike's current process guide: https://spikebrewing.com/pages/conical-process

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeast autolysis can happen with large batch sizes due to the heat/pressure but it's generally considered to not be an issue on homebrew sized setups. I’m not sure why they’re recommending that. Most brewers these days do single vessel fermentation until fermentation is done for best results.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. So sticking with the Blonde Ale recipe, why would you recommend in the final steps to "rack to CO2 purged brite tank (secondary)" before cold crashing ? If using a conical, wouldn't the yeast dump before/after the cold crash be the equivalent and provide the same benefits as moving to a secondary in this scenario?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both work. There's no right or wrong way. It depends on your process / equipment.

See my FERMENT AND PACKAGE article for details: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

Gelatin works better at colder temps and can then also get rid of chill haze (which will go away naturally too) but lowering the temperature always causes liquid to contract so you will suck in air or liquid from your airlock if you don't have some way of introducing CO2 pressure to compensate.

I only ever raise the temperature throughout fermentation and only lower it once I'm in the keg on CO2 pressure for this reason. If you have a safe means of introducing CO2 pressure to your fermentation vessel as the temperature is being lowered then go for it. Some people will use balloons filled with CO2 to offset but I've never liked this idea as it's finicky, and rubber isn't a 100% airtight seal.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: