Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

MLT flow rate through 50' 1/2" ID HERMS coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: MLT flow rate through 50' 1/2" ID HERMS coil Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm testing my build with water and am interested to know if anyone has measurements of re-circulation through a 1/2" ID 50 foot coil with the thick 1/2" ID silicone tubing and full bore camlocks and ball valves? I measured an average of 1.2 gallons per minute with a head of 1.5 feet.

The reason I'm asking is that i have to have the HLT about 3 degrees F higher than the MLT to maintain the mash temp. HLT flow rate is about 6 GPM.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Having a HLT to MLT temperature lag is a very common issue. Using parts that are different from the ones I recommend in our build instructions can cause this. To minimize the difference, make sure to:

- Calibrate both the MLT and HLT temp probes per the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
Unless both are calibrated with a known accurate thermometer at the mash temp, you don’t know if what you are seeing is accurate.
- Make sure to set up the PIDs per the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
- Use the thicker walled hoses I recommend here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses
Thicker hoses will lose less heat. Try to minimize distances as well.
- Set your mill gap crush per the recommendations here (0.045 to 0.050"): http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/grain-mill
You want to mill looser for good flow, not tighter.
- Use the pumps I recommend here to ensure adequate flow: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/pumps
- Run both pumps at 100% open when mashing. To get good flow without any channeling use the kettles I recommend here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

For example, users have reported on our forum and by email how they were seeing a temperature differential between the MLT and HLT and were able to make it go away by swapped out their hoses and pumps for what's recommended in the build instructions. A quote from one of them:

"I had originally tested the HERMS with the thinner 1/2 ID silicon and had my pumps setup with the inline heads (long story). I was landing about 1-2 degrees cooler in the mash kettle. I swapped out the pump heads for the front inlet and swapped out the silicon with what you recommend and I now hit the same temp!" - Todd W.

Other things that are sometimes done differently that can cause a differential:

- Make sure the heating elements are wired correctly and being fed 240V and not 120V. Running heating elements at 120V will result in 1/4 the power you expect. You can check this by looking at the amp meter. A 4500W element will draw 18.8 amps while a 5500W element will draw 22.9 amps.
- Brewing in a very cold location may cause the MLT temp to drop slightly by the time it reaches the MLT temp probe.

This question gets asked a lot on the forum too. These threads may provide further hints:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25474
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26722
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30387
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28283

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,

I've done everything on the list.

I have not tried to mash yet. Just testing with water and everything stabilizes. So I was wondering about flow rates. I don't use your quick disconnects but big C camlock should have less restriction.

It's not a big deal because i can measure it and compensate the process.

Thanks again,
Larry
larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use thermapens. I love those things and give them as gifts all the time.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larrysand wrote:
I've done everything on the list.

Well then that's curious! It's a question that's been asked often enough that I've compiled the list to help people who are curious why there's a difference. If you've done everything on the list then it has to be something not on the list. If/When you find it, please let me know what it was and I'll update the list.

So just to be 100% sure, you are:

- Using the same March pumps with center inlet heads I recommend and not something else?
- Using the same thicker hoses with 7/8" outer diameter I recommend and not 3/4" outer diameter?

These seem to the two that make the difference for others. Most people go with cheaper pumps. Very few sellers sell 7/8" OD hose.

You do have different disconnects but I doubt that makes any difference.

Quote:
big C camlock should have less restriction.

Why?

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big C camlocks have a larger bore. I think that is what he meant about less restriction
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's what I figured he meant. For what it's worth my QDs are not full bore and I've never had issues with flow rate. Having full bore certainly won't hurt anything however.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thanks - that's what I figured he meant. For what it's worth my QDs are not full bore and I've never had issues with flow rate. Having full bore certainly won't hurt anything however.

Kal

I think your QD's have a larger bore than the standard Camlocks. That is if you use the two fittings on the female side like you do. The QD's that have the barb on the female side have a smaller bore than camlocks do.

larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DP is correct. I was just looking for a cause. I will let you know what I find out.

Larry
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot but see what your PID values are at. Kal gave me a baseline to start from and then do the auto tune. Worked wonders for mine being off by about 2 degrees and the HLT overshooting set temps.

P 40
I 350
D 2

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. See the control panel setup instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup

Cheers!

Kal

larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP,

The PID is set to those default values and the HLT does not have any trouble maintaining it's temperature. I calibrated the RTD with my thermapen.

Thanks,
Larry
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larrysand wrote:
DP,

The PID is set to those default values and the HLT does not have any trouble maintaining it's temperature. I calibrated the RTD with my thermapen.

Thanks,
Larry

Could you possibly post up a photo of your system? I would like to see where your temp probes are at and curious if you checked the temp with your thermapen at that spot or somewhere else.

larrysand

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temp probe is exactly as in Kal's build, Kettle, Valve, close nipple, T.

Anyway the problem was several things. My space is on the cool side, about 65F. I had the kettles sitting on a terry towel on a stainless table and the towel was wet. I upgraded that to something better and replaced the thrust washer and impeller in the pump. That took care of the problem.

Thanks,
Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: