Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Converting Gas to Electric with Electric Brewery Components

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awoitte

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Converting Gas to Electric with Electric Brewery Components Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All,

I built a lot of my brewery as far as kettle setups w/ HERMS, pumps, and wort chiller based of information from Kal and TheElectricBrewery. The main difference is I built everything to be for a gas setup which I've been using for the last few years. I'm ready start parting out and making the switch to electric, starting with figuring out what exactly I need to make my switch complete. (P.s. sorry if this is in an incorrect section but it seemed most appropriate).

What I know I'm going to need:

- (2) 5500W (240V), ripple (ULWD) Elements
- 50A Electric Brewery Control Panel for back to back batches
- 1-1/4 Standard Round Knockout Punch Unit

I'm thinking the controller is powered off (1) 220 plug, similar to appliances like an electric dryer, but please elaborate if I'm mistaken as I mentioned I know nothing about electrical. I am trying to learn more starting with https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/electrical-primer-for-brewers.145019/

After that, I'm not entirely sure what else I should be looking for/considering and would like some advice/suggestions.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Wall receptacle (plug) requirements are found in the build instructions and also on the order pages. For the 50A Electric Brewery Control Panel for back to back batches see here:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels/products/50a-electric-brewery-control-panel-for-panel-back-to-back-batches-pre-assembled

Quote:

Quote:
WHAT KIND OF WALL OUTLET DO I NEED TO TELL MY ELECTRICIAN TO INSTALL?

The 50A Electric Brewery Control Panel for back to back batches is usually plugged into a wall outlet using our 50A control panel power cord which requires a standard North American stove receptacle (4-prong 50A/240V). Ask your electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle. In the electrical breaker panel, the circuit breaker must be a 50A / 240V 2-pole breaker. We recommend that the breaker include GFI protection.

So correct that it's a standard 50A stove outlet. Any electrician can install this.

For the rest of the conversion I'd suggest looking at our build instructions - they're here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/building-your-brewery
You can skip over parts if you buy stuff pre-assembled. (We have kits too).

For example, heating elements are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/heating-elements
You'll need 3 temperature probes as well (one per kettle): https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-probes

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
awoitte

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'll scroll through the pages and see what's what.

A few quick questions:

The control panel has an option for boil kettle on left / right side. I noticed the connections run from the bottom of the panel, so what does that mean?

There are several pumps with different V ratings, will any/all of them work with either panel of choice?

Also, how do I know what temp probes are right for me? Looks like you're using the Stainless steel "T" 1/2" FPT to go right next to the ball valves to control temperature at the control panel and then have analog temps in the kettles (assuming these came with the purchase).... What length should I be using for this application?

Austin
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awoitte wrote:
The control panel has an option for boil kettle on left / right side. I noticed the connections run from the bottom of the panel, so what does that mean?

Choosing left/right dictates whether the boil controls are on the left or right side of the panel. Some brewers like to have the boil kettle on the left, some on the right, so we offer the option to choose how the panel is assembled.

Quote:
There are several pumps with different V ratings, will any/all of them work with either panel of choice?

No. You'll need to use a 120V pump for a panel meant for North American use, and a 240V pump for a panel meant for international use.

Quote:
Also, how do I know what temp probes are right for me? Looks like you're using the Stainless steel "T" 1/2" FPT to go right next to the ball valves

When possible probes on a "T" on the output is most accurate way to measure temperature as you're measuring in the flow.
Normally you'd use these probes: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/products/electric-brewery-1-2-npt-tapered-temperature-probe-pre-assembled
This would be for the HLT and MLT.

For the boil kettle since you don't recirculate while boiling this probe is normally installed in the kettle wall: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/products/custom-metric-temperature-probe-pre-assembled

You can read more about this in our temp probe build article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/temperature-probes

Quote:
...and then have analog temps in the kettles (assuming these came with the purchase)....

Correct. The Analog dials are not required.

Quote:
What length should I be using for this application?

Long enough to reach from the kettles to where you want to install the control panel. Wink
In all seriousness, the length will not affect the results. You want to measure your setup and go with whatever length you need. Longer if fine too (no harm). We offer 6 foot, 8 foot and 12 foot lengths as standard as that covers just about any possibility. Some slack is not a bad idea, in other words, if you need 10 feet, got with 12. Let us know if you need something custom. We can do any length required, but 99% of cases are covered with the 3 lengths we offer.

Cheers!

Kal

Austin[/quote]

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: