Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating elements in Boil Kettle stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themoose

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Heating elements in Boil Kettle stopped working Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello Everyone,

I came in today to start my third brew and my 2 elements in the boil kettle won't turn on. I have read through all the trouble shooting and attempted various tests to see what the issue is and I am coming up with nothing.

My system runs with 2 50 amp control panels so to rule out any issues with my new panel, I tried plugging my elements into my HLT panel. No dice there either. I get no jump in amps (usually, as soon as I turn my elements on, I'm right around 40 amps) on either panel. I know my HLT panel is working because I am currently using it to heat my mash water. My boil panel is working as well as I am able to run a pump off of it and when I switch the elements on, I get an on indicator inside the panel.

I popped off the covers of both elements at the boil kettle and I don't see any obvious issues there. There is no sign of any water in either one, nor any signs of overheating such as scorch marks or melted wires.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm getting ready to cancel my brew day.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Chris Kennedy
Black & Gray Brewing Co.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Nevermind, I found it Reply with quote

So, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I plugged the temperature probe back in and now the elements are working. I have my boil kettle set on manual mode so I didn't think I needed a temperature probe running but apparently you do?

Either way, my brew day is back on and I am a happy man.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

A temperature probe is required to have the PID work if the PID is set to our default settings. See our troubleshooting tips here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Quote:
Can I test a PID without using a temperature probe?
The SYL-2352 PIDs require that a temperature probe be connected in order for them to work, even if you want to test and run them in manual mode (such as it done in the boil kettle). If you wish to test a PID without a temperature probe do the following: Set the PID SN setting to 0 to set the probe type to a 2-wire thermocouple probe and use a copper wire to short the PID terminals 4 & 5 together. The PID will then display ambient temperature and you'll be able to run the PID in manual mode.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: