Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Stopper 2.0 KEG EDITION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Hop Stopper 2.0 KEG EDITION Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hop Stopper 2.0 KEG EDITION

The ultimate filter for your corny kegs. Perfect for heavily dry hopped NEIPAs. No more blocked or clogged dip tubes! Add hops, fruit, or anything else you can dream up directly to your kegs for the best extraction possible. We've been testing now for almost 6 months - see the picture below with over 1/2 pound of hops and 1 pound of coconut shavings. Works perfectly!

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all have an estimated price for it, or that still being determined?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but nothing we can announce yet. Wink That said, don't use the hop stopper pricing as comparison. These KEG EDITION versions are much smaller and will be much cheaper.

We'd like to offer multipacks too so we're looking for feedback as to what to offer. I was figuring 1, 4, and 10? (or maybe 8 instead of 10?). Possibly much larger packs for club buys?

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are packed like the standard new Hopstopper, I think just having a quantity discount on the website would be easiest.

Say
1 $20
2 $35
3 or more $15ea
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantity discounts will definitely be provided, just curious what 'packs' people would be interested in as it will depend on how many kegs people tend to have full at any given time (I tend to have anywhere from 14-16 full).

Kal

mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Quantity discounts will definitely be provided, just curious what 'packs' people would be interested in as it will depend on how many kegs people tend to have full at any given time (I tend to have anywhere from 14-16 full).

Kal

I would think the typical brewer would only use this on a subset of brews/styles. It all depends on the individual process, as I utilize a brite tank so would only use these when there are in keg additions.

That said, the ability to add in keg additions and not clog the ball locks (which I find incredibly easy to clog with a seemingly painful recovery needed) is a huge win for homebrewers. It's not like a commercial brewery could ever do this!

I would forsee adding primarily whole hops to individual kegs followed by vanilla, spices, and more.

Price is always the driving factor but could forsee having 4-6 of these. For reference, I have ~14 kegs (but far too many that sit empty).

I'm curious how these work with the two styles of dip tubes I have. Some go right to the center of a concave bottom (as pictured) while some diptubes are straight and go to their own dedicated "hole" or indent on the side of the keg. In the later case I can't picture how these would work, and you wouldn't want to modify the dip tub length as every keg would then leave a lot of beer behind.

Hope that helps the product research.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

mvakoc wrote:
I would think the typical brewer would only use this on a subset of brews/styles. It all depends on the individual process, as I utilize a brite tank so would only use these when there are in keg additions.

Agreed! Though that said, I do use a brite tank (mostly for dry hopping before kegging) and I do find these useful even when I don't dry hop in the keg (something I rarely do) as I often get hop sludge in the keg simply because of the amount of brite tank dry hops I use which in turn clogs up the dip tube. Like you mentioned, depends on the process.

Quote:
I'm curious how these work with the two styles of dip tubes I have. Some go right to the center of a concave bottom (as pictured) while some diptubes are straight and go to their own dedicated "hole" or indent on the side of the keg. In the later case I can't picture how these would work, and you wouldn't want to modify the dip tub length as every keg would then leave a lot of beer behind.

Agreed - I have a couple of kegs with straight dip tubes that sit in a 'trench' at the bottom. The hop stopper I show here wouldn't work with that without cutting the dip tube shorter which (as you mentioned) would end up leaving beer behind. The manufacturer's trying our some alternate options now to see if he can accommodate straight dip tubes. For me, over the last ~6 months I've been using these I've saved those straight dip tube kegs for beers like light lagers and Kolschs where you don't necessarily need a keg filter.

Kal

mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

mvakoc wrote:

Agreed! Though that said, I do use a brite tank (mostly for dry hopping before kegging) and I do find these useful even when I don't dry hop in the keg (something I rarely do) as I often get hop sludge in the keg simply because of the amount of brite tank dry hops I use which in turn clogs up the dip tube. Like you mentioned, depends on the process.

Understood. I should have clarified my use of brite tank (Ss brite tank) is purely for conditioning/clearing the beer. Any dry hopping (which I nearly always do too) would have been done in the primary vessel (a Unitank). I understand this wouldn't be the typical case so those dry hopping in the keg would see a big benefit, I suspect.

kal wrote:

Quote:

Agreed - I have a couple of kegs with straight dip tubes that sit in a 'trench' at the bottom. The hop stopper I show here wouldn't work with that without cutting the dip tube shorter which (as you mentioned) would end up leaving beer behind. The manufacturer's trying our some alternate options now to see if he can accommodate straight dip tubes. For me, over the last ~6 months I've been using these I've saved those straight dip tube kegs for beers like light lagers and Kolschs where you don't necessarily need a keg filter.

Kal

I have no idea what percentage of my kegs are straight tubes versus bent to the middle. If the clean ones weren't already santized and ready for product I could open up and do a survey, but I'm too lazy to touch an already prepped beast. My only advise on that would be to make it very clear to the potential buyer which keg stopper would work with a particular keg design.

I'm looking forward to pushing this thing to the limit. If it works anywhere near as good as the hop stopper 2.0, which is absolutely fantastic, I'm sure it'll contribute to some amazing brews.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvakoc wrote:
My only advise on that would be to make it very clear to the potential buyer which keg stopper would work with a particular keg design.

Agreed! Full disclosure has always been my mantra. My background is in engineering, not sales and marketing (those types would hate me). Wink

Quote:
I'm looking forward to pushing this thing to the limit. If it works anywhere near as good as the hop stopper 2.0, which is absolutely fantastic, I'm sure it'll contribute to some amazing brews.

Cool!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on these little guys?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that can be announced at this time!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a temporary holding page where more information will be added as it's available:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper/products/hop-stopper-2-0-keg-edition

Sorry for the delay - nothing new to announce at this time.

Kal

Master

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say, I'm brewing an insanely hoppy IIPA on Friday.

I'm contemplating keg dry hopping.

Any chance these are available in the next month?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope so!

Kal

Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you launch these beauties, how about a version for fermenters?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fermenter do you use? What purpose or usage are you trying to cover?

Yeast can be fairly thick. That's why racking arms in some fermenters can be moved to keep the arm out of the trub/yeast. You rack from above it. Or you use a conical and dump the yeast first.

I don't think a hop stopper to filter out yeast would (or could) work, but instead a hop stopper that could go on a racking arm that sits ABOVE the yeast to filter out dry hops. Is that what you're interested in? It is something we're considering.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What fermenter do you use? What purpose or usage are you trying to cover?

Yeast can be fairly thick. That’s why racking arms in some fermenters can be moved to keep the arm out of the trub/yeast. You rack from above it. Or you use a conical and dump the yeast first.

I don’t think a hop stopper to filter out yeast would (or could) work, but instead a hop stopper that could go on a racking arm that sits ABOVE the yeast to filter out dry hops. Is that what you're interested in? It is something we're considering.

Kal

It would be for dry hopping. Of course, it is somewhat problematic considering the various racking arm configurations.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Ben!

Kal

Master

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None at this time. The Keg Edition is still a couple of weeks out. While the design is pretty well set, there are a bunch of other manufacturing/order processing logistical details that are still being ironed out that will take some time. There will be an announcement as we get closer, keep an eye here and on social media.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: