Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

What hand held thermometer are you using?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: What hand held thermometer are you using? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking to purchase a Hand Held Thermometer to use for my brewing hobby and I want to buy the best of the best the first time. The Thermapen that is listed on this website is in 1st place right now but I was just wondering what everyone else is using. I want something that is already calibrated and something that is extremely accurate. Maybe something that has a longer probe to get deep into the mash tun.

Thanks guys.
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Component Design ProAccurate thermometer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064BCPM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B00064BCPM). It's inexpensive, fairly fast reading, and has a decent accuracy range.

One thing about the manufacturer is that they really stand behind their product - the warranty is great (I have received 2 replacements in the 5 year warranty period for failure probably due to my fault, vs. the product - it's still covered!)

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's a great warranty.

I also want something that is already pre-calibrated and certified. I'm leaning more to the thermapen but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say. Maybe something better is out there? I always research my products before I buy them..
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same one as Dick. Works great and it is a great price.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
Works great and it is a great price.

I agree! It's also very easy to calibrate - just crush some ice, add water, and stick the thermometer into the mix and press "Cal" - very simple! The accuracy seems pretty good, too. Great balance between price & quality/accuracy.

-Dick
Troubs

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermapen is the Royles Royce of brewing thermometers. Everyone that I know of that has had one has loved it and wouldn't use anything else. I just wish I could spend that kind of loot on a thermometer
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's a great tool but I was wondering about the length of the probe. If you have a longer probe you can use it for more and different measurements. I like to know if people who have the thermapen ever say "damn, if i had a longer probe I could... "
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troubs wrote:
Thermapen is the Royles Royce of brewing thermometers. Everyone that I know of that has had one has loved it and wouldn't use anything else. I just wish I could spend that kind of loot on a thermometer

It's one of those "it's the last one you'll ever buy" type things. I know a lot of brewers who use cheap grocery store probes that cost about $5-10 but they stop working correctly every few years since they get water inside or just go flakey.

More information here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=3

ThermaPen's also a 2-point calibration (not just 1) so it's more accurate.

Links to purchase and support our site:

Directly from ThermaPen:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/?tw=ELECTRICBREW

From Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GIZZWM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002GIZZWM&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=GGTSZRAWLSEC3HDE

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, when i go to buy i will link from you site, thanks for reminding me. Evertime i buy something from morebeer I come here first.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
Kal, when i go to buy i will link from you site, thanks for reminding me. Evertime i buy something from morebeer I come here first.

Thanks! It's appreciated and helps keep this site running!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had any experience with the Javelin PRO Duo? Looks to be their version of the new ThermaPen MK4.

http://amzn.to/1Uby8nS
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one of the reviews from someone who has both:

- Thermapen slightly faster.
- Thermapen's display auto rotates.
- Javelin pro has a handy magnetic strip.
- Thermapen has a motion sensor to wake it if you're using it on and off all day.
- Thermapen is waterproof. Javelin pro is splash proof.

I see nothing that indicates that the Javelin pro is NIST certified either.

ThermaPen's here in case you want the "original": http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?tw=ELECTRICBREW

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
From one of the reviews from someone who has both:

- Thermapen slightly faster.
- Thermapen's display auto rotates.
- Javelin pro has a handy magnetic strip.
- Thermapen has a motion sensor to wake it if you're using it on and off all day.
- Thermapen is waterproof. Javelin pro is splash proof.

I see nothing that indicates that the Javelin pro is NIST certified either.

ThermaPen's here in case you want the "original": http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?tw=ELECTRICBREW

Kal

Don't get me wrong, I feel the Thermapen is better quality product. Was just curious if anyone from here had used one. I believe your info is from the Javelin Pro not the Duo I was asking about. The Duo doe auto rotate with backlight. Thinking about trying one for being almost half the price. Can you change my link so you get credit for the sale?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowpaige64507 wrote:
I believe your info is from the Javelin Pro not the Duo I was asking about. The Duo doe auto rotate with backlight.

Ah! Sorry about that! It's from one of the reviews that someone posted with a summary. You're right that that's confusing since the product is the Duo version but his comments were not for that version it appears.

Sorry, I haven't use the Javelin PRO Duo so I can't comment. Many others have...

Quote:
Can you change my link so you get credit for the sale?

Was already done! Wink Thanks for your support!

Kal

Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the food service business and have been for almost 40 years so I have a lot of experience using food thermometers. I buy about 50 a year. Mostly the cheap instant read ones that all of my staff are required to carry at all times. In order to meet HACCP requirements my Chef is required to monitor and record food temperatures every two hours. He is also required to verify thermometer calibration on a daily basis and record the results. In a drawer in my office I have about a dozen digital thermometers ranging in price from $10 to over $1000. The one he grabs every day is the Thermapen. It has been in use for about two or three years now and we have never had a problem with it. The Calibration is always dead on. This is in a business where the life of a thermometer is often measured in days or weeks. This thermapen has been totally abused, from being dropped on the floor to being dropped in pots of simmering soup. It still works like a champ.
When you look at how much money most of us have tied up in brewing equipment why buy any thermometer but the best. The older model thermapen ( the one we use) is often on sale for about $75.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased the thermapen mk4 through your link. Thanks for the recommendation, I've been pulling my hair out trying to get an accurate thermometer I have an inkbird pen, a glass lab therm and a floating but was getting a 6 degree f difference between the 3. I debated buying the thermoworks reference thermometer but I figure the mk 4 should be close enough for checking my rtd probes

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermapen here. It wanders off to the wifes stuff and I have to steal it back regularly,
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: