Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

GLycol chilling issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: GLycol chilling issues? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I’m running a DIY 5k BTU AC chiller. Reservoir is at 20f, and my conical is a spike CF15. With cooling coil and package. I’m stuck at 39.2 with a set point of 38, and it’s been sitting here constantly pumping for 1 hour or so. Is this normal at these lower temps? Within the last 24 hours it’s been down in high 37 area, and held briefly at 38.... a little confused as my glycol chiller isn’t having any problems holding the 20f temp in reservoir?
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you have checked but is everything calibrated? Maybe the reservoir is truly not at 20 degrees. Just a thought. I would assume you would loose some chilling power in the lines but not much. Do you have any photo's?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, but this forum won’t allow me to upload them. They are too big. Just a standard glycol AC a unit, and a spike CF15 conical with 5-6’ vinyl tubing with insulation. Yes I’ve checked everything with my thermapen. Everything is calibrated and accurate. It’s weird.

I increased reservoir temp to 27, and my conical to 37. Seems to be doing a little better.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be forming a ice layer on your coil.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
zimmekt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reversing your lines. I forget where the exact temp is but there is a reversal in thermal gradient as the density of the liquid changes. Your input line should be going to the bottom of the coil first when cold crashing. When temp control fermenting at higher temps, you want it to be going to the top of the coil first. Make sense?
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s what I did. Still kind of struggled around that area. I think I’ll switch the lines a bit sooner than spike recommends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: