Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hot Liqueur tank excessive temperature error

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewpilot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Hot Liqueur tank excessive temperature error Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Im at a loss. My hot liqueur tank is not accurate at all. I have replaced the PID twice and the timer, Auber JSL-73. It seems like anytime I use the timer the Hot Liqueur tank goes off by 10 degrees or more. I've swapped the cables with the Mash Tun and the temp is dead on compared to a floating thermometer. I have verified the wiring is correct. I did the auto tune. It worked flawlessly for 1 year then this started.

Do I just need to move to the timer you use Kal? Please help!

Steve
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Liqueur tank excessive temperature error Reply with quote

brewpilot wrote:
It seems like anytime I use the timer the Hot Liqueur tank goes off by 10 degrees or more.

That's very odd. When you say "use", do you mean when the timer's counting down?
Even if it was some sort of strange interference, I don't see how having it count down would interfere with the PID. Maybe there's a coil in the timer for a relay that gets energized when it's running a certain way (when you're "using" it) that is causing interference? Even with a subtle magnetic field created it shouldn't affect temp probe cables or PIDs nearby. I would doublecheck wiring to ensure something isn't disconnected by accident like one of the 3 wires for the temp probe. Like possibly a floating ground picking up interference. Definitely odd!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my HLT PID last brew session. Worked flawlessly the first few times and this last time with the HLT element energized it would jump around. I would shut the element off and back on again and it would return to normal. I double checked the wiring and everything is as it should be. Let me know if you figure out whats going on.
brewpilot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it did it again yesterday when I brewed. I tried to post a picture of the HLT temperature reading -52 degrees. I'm going to completely disconnect the Auber timer and see if that stabilizes the HLT readings. If so I will switch to the Omega timer. If it is still doesn't read correct I'll also change out the PID. I love the set up, when it works correctly.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed my question from Aug 19 (in bold):

kal wrote:
brewpilot wrote:
It seems like anytime I use the timer the Hot Liqueur tank goes off by 10 degrees or more.

That's very odd. When you say "use", do you mean when the timer's counting down?
Even if it was some sort of strange interference, I don't see how having it count down would interfere with the PID. Maybe there's a coil in the timer for a relay that gets energized when it's running a certain way (when you're "using" it) that is causing interference? Even with a subtle magnetic field created it shouldn't affect temp probe cables or PIDs nearby. I would doublecheck wiring to ensure something isn't disconnected by accident like one of the 3 wires for the temp probe. Like possibly a floating ground picking up interference. Definitely odd!

Kal

Just curious.

Kal

brewpilot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Yes the counter was counting down and I went to adjust the temps on the HLT PID.
brewpilot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Yes the counter was counting down and I went to adjust the temps on the HLT PID when this occurs.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when it's not counting down you don't have the issue?

Does it make a difference if any of the relays (like alarm relays or similar) are closed or similar? I'm not sure exactly what's in this timer as I don't use it, but wondering if some sort of magnetic field from a closed relay coil is causing the issue. Some trial and error may be required to pinpoint what's causing it. That said however, not sure what you'd do with that info if it was proven that one of the coils is causing the issue (other than possibly not use that feature if that's even an option for you).

Very strange indeed. Let us know how you make out!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: