Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

PID Alarm Troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasky7777

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: PID Alarm Troubles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Cross post from HBT, but thought I may get more specific info here.
I have a Kal clone built from a kit, and I seem to have everything running properly except for the PID alarm. They are the Auber SYL-2352. The top number in red all read around 62*F, as I haven’t calibrated them to my Thermopen. The bottom number in green I can change and set. The elements fire and hold the temp to my set point.
What I can’t get working is the alarm. I’ve checked my wiring three times and it’s been checked by a journeyman electrician. The alarm goes off for the timer so I know it works.
I set the first ALARM 1 at 135*F, and set ALARM 2 at 70*F. With the water at roughly 60*F I should get an alarm, and with the set point at 140*F I should get an alarm when I hit the set point. The issue I see is that the PID doesn’t show a light coming on for ALM1 or ALM2. All of this leads me to believe that the PID isn’t set right.
I have gotten the alarm to go off on the PIDs like 10 % of the time which is frustrating since it will work and then stop and I haven’t changed anything other than cycling the power on and off.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PID Alarm Troubles Reply with quote

Not exactly. To be clear:

ALM1 will turn on when the temperature (the measured red PV value) passes through the ALM1 value on its way up.
ALM2 will turn on when the temperature (the measured red PV value) passes through the ALM2 value on way down up.

Key words are "passes through". Make sure that the "Hy-1" and "Hy-2" values are set to the default 9999 too.

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
Check out the PID manual too for more info.

Calibration of the temp probes will ensure what you're reading is accurate, but doesn't change the logic.

If anyone's curious, here's how I use ALM1 and ALM2:

ALM1 is useful for knowing when:

- The hot liquor has reached strike temperature (alarm sent from the Hot Liquor Tank PID).
- The grain has reached a mash, step, or mashout temperature (alarm sent from the Mash/Lauter Tun PID).
- The hot liquor has reached sparge temperature (alarm sent from the Hot Liquor Tank PID).
- The wort is about to boil (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID).

ALM2 is useful for knowing when:

- The wort has reached hop stand temperature (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID).
- The wort has reached yeast pitching temperature (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID). (I don't actually do this myself but would be useful for brewers who use immersion chillers).

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
sasky7777

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PID Alarm Troubles Reply with quote

kal wrote:

If anyone's curious, here's how I use ALM1 and ALM2:

ALM1 is useful for knowing when:

- The hot liquor has reached strike temperature (alarm sent from the Hot Liquor Tank PID).
- The grain has reached a mash, step, or mashout temperature (alarm sent from the Mash/Lauter Tun PID).
- The hot liquor has reached sparge temperature (alarm sent from the Hot Liquor Tank PID).
- The wort is about to boil (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID).

ALM2 is useful for knowing when:

- The wort has reached hop stand temperature (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID).
- The wort has reached yeast pitching temperature (alarm sent from the Boil Kettle PID). (I don't actually do this myself but would be useful for brewers who use immersion chillers).

Kal

Most helpful ALM1 and ALM2 examples.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: