Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Weak boil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Weak boil? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Boil testing with water, im not acheiving a very vigorous boil. Using a 20 gallon g2 with boil coil, controller set in boil mode at 100%.

Will the vigor increase when its actual wort?

https://vimeo.com/user90157407/review/292836524/c6c01ee4d4

Thank you
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Your link is broken, but yes, large quantities of water won't look like a vigorous boil. Wort will.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link should work.

https://click.email.vimeo.com/?qs=c89b1c424bc9eed35492cff4353cfaf26069b4ff6cd97015220756c217f00c2045ac23a296e79b943490209d41b7867de097b904930ea05b112910ec7d1f764b
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks normal. That said, you're using someone else's control panel so you may want to confirm with them as to how their product is supposed to work.

Kal

USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Like I said, once I get my wife here and get through all the expensive legal bull****, I am definitely upgrading to one of your controller!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised on how many times the water boil question comes up. You think it would be worth making a sticky?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably eventually add it to the FAQ. I need to completely rework that anyway as I move it all the new website (currently at https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/). That said, if you give people a way to ask questions (like this open forum), it'll still come up, just like other common questions. This is not a jab at USMChueston0311 of course - as I don't cover this question anywhere... Wink There are a couple of dozen or so questions that I get asked that are 'common' questions. Many of the common questions (not this one) are ones I cover in the FAQ or have as stickies already. It's just human nature - not everyone searches before asking.

Kal

USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
I'm surprised on how many times the water boil question comes up. You think it would be worth making a sticky?

Weird, I did a search on here, and through other forums and google, and didnt turn up too many results. Maybe it should be posted to the FAQ.

Im brewing first batch tomorrow on the new system so we will see how it all goes.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the searches. I've never had any luck searching for stuff on any forum (not just this one). Don't know what I'm doing wrong but never seems to get valid results. That is why I suggested the sticky. FAQ would also be a good location.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Weak boil? Reply with quote

USMChueston0311 wrote:
Boil testing with water, im not acheiving a very vigorous boil. Using a 20 gallon g2 with boil coil, controller set in boil mode at 100%.

Will the vigor increase when its actual wort?

https://vimeo.com/user90157407/review/292836524/c6c01ee4d4

Thank you

We use a Blichmann 30 gallon kettle with their boil coil and overall not happy with the boil. We supplement with gas to get it where we feel is appropriate. Curious to know why Kai prefers his straight type elements?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here for why I prefer ripple elements over a Blichmann boil coil: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305899#305899

That said, power is power. A boil coil putting X watts into the wort is going to give the same boil as a ripple element putting X watts into the boil. My reasons stated in the link above have nothing to do with power.

Kal

champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
See here for why I prefer ripple elements over a Blichmann boil coil: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305899#305899

That said, power is power. A boil coil putting X watts into the wort is going to give the same boil as a ripple element putting X watts into the boil. My reasons stated in the link above have nothing to do with power.

Kal

What link? Missed it. Boil coil is only element we have used. We see you use the ripple and figure it's for a reason. Better boil? Our boil wth the Boil coil is less than satisfactory for us and use gas as a supplement. Would prefer not to. Thanks, George
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ wrote:
What link? Missed it.

The link I posted above. Here it is again:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305899#305899

Quote:
Boil coil is only element we have used. We see you use the ripple and figure it's for a reason.

The link above will explain.

Quote:
Better boil? Our boil wth the Boil coil is less than satisfactory for us and use gas as a supplement. Would prefer not to.

No, not a better boil. Click on the link above for the various reasons I prefer ripple elements.

What wattage are you using?
How are you driving it?
What volume are you boiling?
What's your boil off rate?
Got any videos of your boil?

Kal

champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
champ wrote:
What link? Missed it.

The link I posted above. Here it is again:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305899#305899

Quote:
Boil coil is only element we have used. We see you use the ripple and figure it's for a reason.

The link above will explain.

Quote:
Better boil? Our boil wth the Boil coil is less than satisfactory for us and use gas as a supplement. Would prefer not to.

No, not a better boil. Click on the link above for the various reasons I prefer ripple elements.

What wattage are you using?
How are you driving it?

Kal

Kai, When I saw someone else not happy with the quality of the boil they are getting with the Boil Coil I had to ask/comment as we feel the same. We started using the BC last December and felt it was a marginally acceptable boil. Brewed a few good beers with it. When the summer came around and the demand for electricity increased the boil was unusable and we started supplementing with a gas burner. We had such a great boil, better than the December boil, we just kept doing it that way. In the end it was probably a voltage issue although we had in the high 220's volts during the winter months.

Read the link and a lot of very good points to go with your style of element.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, but something however doesn't sound right with your setup.

What wattage element are you using?
How are you driving it?

I ask because I don't understand the 'quality of boil' comment. Heat is heat. Power is power. Doesn't matter how you're getting it into the wort. I'm basically saying that our ripple elements won't give you a better 'quality' boil. In other words, replace a 5500W boil coil with one of our ripple elements and your 'quality' of boil will not change. There's no logical reason why it would. My reasons for preferring ripple are for other reasons.

Kal

champ

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but something however doesn't sound right with your setup.

What wattage element are you using?
How are you driving it?

I ask because I don't understand the 'quality of boil' comment. Heat is heat. Power is power. Doesn't matter how you're getting it into the wort. I'm basically saying that our ripple elements won't give you a better 'quality' boil. In other words, replace a 5500W boil coil with one of our ripple elements and your 'quality' of boil will not change. There's no logical reason why it would. My reasons for preferring ripple are for other reasons.

Kal

5750W

Tower of power controller

20-22 gallons

3 gallons - 90 minute boil. That's from a brew we did with gas supplement. Were not getting that with straight electric.

No videos. Just my wife who has boiled water for over 50 years and says it's a nice but not vigorous boil!

Probably a voltage issue. How low a voltage with a 5750w element can you go and have it function as rated?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

An element will only produce the rated power if it's run at the voltage it's rated for. For example, if your 5750W element is rated to be run at 240V, it will only produce those 5750W when running at 240V. Lower voltage will result in lower power output.

Keep in mind that large volumes of water will not appear be boil vigorously. It's a very common question we get here from people who are testing out their setups with water instead of wort and are wondering why their boil isn't churning or doesn't appear to be the sort of violent boil I show such as in this video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpKlUXFHMtC/

If you've used your boil coil with wort and don't experience vigorous boil then that's a whole other story of course.

The other thing I'd recommend is to contact the manufacturer. You're using all Blichmann so they should be ready and willing to help their customers with any questions they have. Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: