Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Secondary Fermentation additions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Secondary Fermentation additions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Morning Brewers,

I've been searching the interwebs about fruit additions (frozen, puree, fresh ect) to secondary fermentation. I am curious on others successes / failure and approach to doing this.
dtapke

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of results! depends on the beer, fruit, have you killed off the yeast, or do you want the yeast to consume the sugars? etc. Any particular recipe or addition you've got in mind?
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtapke wrote:
Lots of results! depends on the beer, fruit, have you killed off the yeast, or do you want the yeast to consume the sugars? etc. Any particular recipe or addition you've got in mind?

Currently still developing the recipe. however, base recipe would be a sessions IPA. Currently fermenting one with a couple different yeast strains to see which I like best. Currently still bottle conditioning here- so I wouldn't be able to kill off all the yeast, as some are needed for natural carbonation. I want to experiment with couple pairings 1) orange + mango 2) pineapple + Jalapenos.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly different.... but might be worth your time to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiR-_UVxtzM
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff- Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think this will be something I first attempt on a smaller scale, sale 2-3 gallons and then scale once acceptable results are reached.
dtapke

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure most of the available flavorings aren't fermentable, I would be concerned adding much fruit to a bottle conditioned beer as you won't have a way to account for the fructose addition, as well you'll lose the sweetness. Many ways to kill of the yeast to allow for the back sweetening, but that won't help you to carb, if you let the yeast consume all the sugar before bottling you'll lose some of the additions flavor, but may still be good.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtapke: All valid points! Will have to conduct some experiments... or not get as picky with my craiglist finds (unlikely) and convert to keging. thanks for your feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: