Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HERMS coil placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: HERMS coil placement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm on the verge of installing my HERMS coil in a Blichmann G2 55 gallons but I have one minor concern so I'd like the opinion of other brewers.

My stainless steel coil is 12" in diameter and I intend to install it in such a way that it will not be centered with the vessel's 24" diameter. My reasoning is that it will completely clear both heating elements, thus allowing me to install it closer to the bottom, and it's already coiled that way so I don't have to worry about recoiling it and adjusting the lengths of the inlet/outlet.

Will the fact that it is not centered affect the heat distribution? Or this shouldn't be an issue since I'm using a recirculating pump which will reduce temperature stratification.

Am I overlooking or forgetting something?
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be an issue since you're recirculating.
Jayf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
Shouldn't be an issue since you're recirculating.

Thanks!

It will look something like this, to scale but not centered.

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no issues. If you were to forget to recirculate, or something... I think you'd have bigger issues than the average person in here, but as long as you are, no problems.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! Keep the water in the HLT moving at all times and you won't have any issues. You want to keep it moving anyway (regardless of where it's positioned) to maximize heat transfer.

More info on the HLT and HERMS coil: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Jayf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal!

Leak proofed and ready to go!

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: