Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

PID location

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: PID location Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all. I have done quite a few searches and havent found a direct post about this. please forgive me if this is redundant.

I am running 3 G2 20 gallon boilermakers, 2 electric 1 standard for MLT. 2 Riptides, a high gravity EBC-330 controller and therminator.

I have been told if I put the PID on the HEX output that I wont have independent mash temp control for some reason, and ONLY constant recirc and MLT temp controlled by HLT temp.

Blichmann does one PID in HLT vessel wall, and one in a tee fitting on output of HEX.

KALs system has both in tee fitting on output valves of HLT and MLT.

What are the pros of this setup, and should I do MLT on HEX output, and one in vessel of HLT, or do a tee fitting on HLT output valve?
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to install mine directly on the HLT rather than the water out valve. The reason I chose that was because I don't recirculate my water all the time in the HLT. With installing on the tee you need to recirculate in order to be accurate. With that said, I think you will be able to match your Mash Tun and HLT better by having the probe on the tee.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! See 1/2 way down this page here for the reasons why I recommend putting the probes in a Tee: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/temperature-probes

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I. Theory, if I was to place the probe in a tee at the Herms exit MLT inlet at the auto sparge locaion, when raising to 168 to mash out, it would read almost right away because the heat exchange effiency, but the actual mash bed temp would be now where close to this temp, until it has time to properly circulate and raise temp?

And putting the probe in mash vessel, wouldn’t read correctly even with continuous recirculating? I could see it happening if the mash wasn’t on a continuous circulation, say if you used the MLT probe to activate and deactivate the wort pump every so often. Then I could see the MLT probe not reading accurately. But I want a continuous recirculation.

I need to order my control panel tomorrow and need to figure out how I want to configure my temp probes. Blichmann puts at the HEX output and runs continuously, the controller manufacturer (high gravity brewing) says to put in MLT vessel, and KAL, is saying on the MLT output.

KAL does your system circulate continuously? Do you have any issues with overshooting etc with your temp probe placement? Help me understand and make my decision please!
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am running 3 way valves on my riptide pumps, and have a constant whirlpool in my HLT. So temp stratification should not be an issue in HLT.
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further more from High gravity, the mlt is controlled by cycling the pump on and off. Reading from the vessel. They said because you can have your HLT temp well above mash temp, to help speed up and have more effeicieny when step mashing. Do you see this being an issue or taking a long time if I was to install probe in MLT output tee, and just increasing my HLT temp for step mashing? I’m using boil coils, and have 20 gallon G2s. Or will it be pretty quick and efficient?

How could I install a tee and temp probe if my kettle valve is the g2 linear flow valve? Using nipples and a tee?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMChueston0311 wrote:
So I. Theory, if I was to place the probe in a tee at the Herms exit MLT inlet at the auto sparge locaion, when raising to 168 to mash out, it would read almost right away because the heat exchange effiency, but the actual mash bed temp would be now where close to this temp, until it has time to properly circulate and raise temp?

Assuming your setup is well designed/efficient, your HERMS coil output should always match HLT water temp. So having a temp probe at the HERMS coil output is redundant.
This is why we place ours at the MLT output: It lets you know once the whole grain bed is at the target temp.

Quote:
And putting the probe in mash vessel, wouldn’t read correctly even with continuous recirculating?

See above. You want to know once the entire grain bed is at temp as you're measuring the farthest spot (the MLT output).

Quote:
I need to order my control panel tomorrow and need to figure out how I want to configure my temp probes. Blichmann puts at the HEX output and runs continuously, the controller manufacturer (high gravity brewing) says to put in MLT vessel, and KAL, is saying on the MLT output.

You're not buying from us, not using our equipment, so you really should work with whoever is selling you this equipment to make sure your questions about their products are answered. All I can tell you what works well for our design and the equipment (control panel) we sell. Others may have different suggestions. If those selling you their equipment cannot assist with this, I would suggest purchasing elsewhere. I would recommend: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/ Wink

Quote:
KAL does your system circulate continuously?

Yes. See my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP for the complete process: http://theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Quote:
Do you have any issues with overshooting etc with your temp probe placement? Help me understand and make my decision please!

No issues at all with our design using our equipment. I cannot speak for other designs or other equipment.

Cheers,

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMChueston0311 wrote:
Further more from High gravity, the mlt is controlled by cycling the pump on and off. Reading from the vessel. They said because you can have your HLT temp well above mash temp, to help speed up and have more effeicieny when step mashing. Do you see this being an issue or taking a long time if I was to install probe in MLT output tee, and just increasing my HLT temp for step mashing? I’m using boil coils, and have 20 gallon G2s. Or will it be pretty quick and efficient?

In my design and brewing process, the HLT never goes above the MLT. You set the HLT to whatever mash temp you want, and the mash follows along. Very simple. You can step mash, do anything you like. Setting the HLT much hotter doesn't make sense to me because your sparge water will then be too hot to sparge with. You cannot easily lower the temperature when it's time to sparge. If High Gravity has a completely different process you'll have to talk to them about how to correctly use their equipment.

Quote:
How could I install a tee and temp probe if my kettle valve is the g2 linear flow valve? Using nipples and a tee?

See "Using BoilerMaker G2 kettles on our setup": http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27425

Kal

USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAL, thank you for your information! The first link you sent today answered all of my questions upon further reading and research!

I’m basically using the controller just to power my elements, and maintain HLT temp. I’m going to put my sensor in a tee on MLT output, like you suggested. In the future I will upgrade to one of your control panels, as I like having control of all three kettles, and having screens with temp read outs.

Just going thru a shitty immigration situation with my wife which is very costly. I served years in the USMC infantry, and my wife isn’t even allowed to come visit me until she has her green card which is going to take around 1.5-2 years!!!!!

But thank you again for all of your help and patience. Your website and system plus information is a treasure trove of info and help and I GREATLY appreciate everything you’ve done and continue to do for the home brewing community. Thanks bro

Steve
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Steve!

Kal

Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

You might already know this, but go ahead and spend the $2500 or so to get a lawyer to do the immigration stuff for you. They can get it pushed through in about 6 months. If you do it on your own, like I did, it will take 1 year to 1 1/2 years before they do anything with it.
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazumichan wrote:
Steve,

You might already know this, but go ahead and spend the $2500 or so to get a lawyer to do the immigration stuff for you. They can get it pushed through in about 6 months. If you do it on your own, like I did, it will take 1 year to 1 1/2 years before they do anything with it.

I’m using a lawyer. That’s the time she quoted me. It’s takig an average of 17-22 months for a green card. My wife made the mistake of telling customs she was coming on her tourist visa to get married and planned on staying to adjust her status, they instantly rejected her and sent her away. She lost said tourist visa. She even told them her fiancé was a combat marine, and the ****** cowards never called me. I would’ve bought her a return ticket.... so I have congress trying to get an expedition but they denied the initial request as insufficient evidence. Had to get doctors notes etc, and were still waiting to hear something. Doesn’t look good.
USMChueston0311

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I’m going with a cheaper controller, so I can just get up and brewing on my new system. I WILL have a KAL panel. one day.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to build one for you Steve when the day comes! Let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers!

Kal

Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my wife did something very similar. I didn't go the lawyer route and it took about 15 months to get through all the crap immigration puts you through. I have several friends that did it with a lawyer and all of them was done in 6-8 months, but this has been about 5-7 years ago now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: