Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HLT water input valve connection pieces are rusting.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: HLT water input valve connection pieces are rusting..... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Several of the pieces of my 'HLT water input valve connection pieces' are showing signs of discoloration that looks a lot like rust.

Specifically, in Step 4 of the Hot Liquor Tank build instructions, there is a list of pieces labeled "Breakdown of the water input ball valve connections:", I have discoloration/rust (not a lot, but some) on pieces E, H, I, J, and K. Has anyone else seen this happen?

My brewery is about 2 1/2 years old (going on batch #32). There's not a lot of rust, but I do believe that even a small amount can contaminate beer. Am I worrying needlessly or should I replace all of the offending parts? Can I just get by with cleaning up the rust, and if so, how?

I'm wondering if this is caused by leaving 20 gallons of RO water in the HLT overnight as I usually pull 20 gallons of RO water on the day before I brew and don't add minerals until brew day.

Thanks for any input.

W
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. I'm assuming you mean these:

Link to parts/instructions: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=6

None of that stuff should rust. Mine is 10 years old and I do leave water in the HLT overnight at times when I sometimes heat the water the night before and then turn things off until the morning.

The only thing that used to (or should) rust for me was the base of the heating element, but that was because it wasn't stainless steel but iron. (Our new heating elements have a stainless base which will not rust when left in water: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/heating-elements ).

Got any pictures? You may have gotten some contamination into the stainless when working on them using wrenches or similar? How are all the other parts in other kettles?

I would probably clean off/lightly sand any rust to completely remove it, treat with something like bar keeper's friend, clean that off, and then continue/monitor.

Some cheaper parts may also not be as pure / good quality stainless (I've seen this before). If the rust seems all over and just just spots where you may have scratched with wrenches or similar then it's probably just crappy quality parts (?). If you do decide to replace, all these items are available in our new shop too and will not rust: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/stainless-fittings

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. Hopefully the attached photo shows what I'm talking about.

As this is obviously out of sight, I have no idea what other connections may be showing this internally - maybe it's time to open up a few more fittings and take look. I also suspect that I need to be more careful in blowing things dry when I'm done.

Wally

rust.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.63 KB
 Viewed:  5136 Time(s)

rust.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very minor. I'd clean up and keep using. Can't imagine this causing any issues.
How did you know this was happening if it's all hidden/internal?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: