Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Avoiding mash channelling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasersnake

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Avoiding mash channelling? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Team,

I have used my electric brewery maybe 5 times now and am having problems with channelling in my mash, due to recirculating the wort at full pump in to one position in the mash tun. It basically leaves a cone of grain.

How do people avoid this?
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention this, I took a video of it happening in my mash today:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt8e2b9g1x3qttj/20180714_102752.mp4?dl=0

I would stir it every 10 mins for so about 3-4" deep to break it up a bit.

That being said, according to the software that I used my mash efficiency was 79%. I have no idea if this is considered good or not but I hit my numbers so I'm pretty happy. (edit 2: put my numbers into another software application and got conversion of 89.9%)

edit: I sparged for 80 minutes after mashing out at 168 degrees for 20 minutes. (Yes my brew days are long Wink )
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi,
I noticed that your sparge hose is at a very steep entry to the mash. Creating a big hole. I use a longer hose and coil it around the kettle at least a full circle so the outlet is somewhat level with the top of the mash. That way it just makes a whirlpool.

I usually get about 80% efficiency using that method. It still leaves the malt with a cone shape, so I started using the SS Brew Tech Mash Re-Circulation/ Manifold. Efficiency went up to 87%. The malt stays flat on top, no more holes or cone shapes.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 701pilot! I will give that a look. Any issues with grain getting stuck?

edit: I looked at the video again, the hose goes all the way around the outside of the kettle and comes out basically at 2 o'clock (so essentially one revolution around). It's laying pretty flat at that point. Did you think that it's going straight in where you can see the tube enter the water? Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding mash channelling? Reply with quote

lasersnake wrote:
Hey Team,

I have used my electric brewery maybe 5 times now and am having problems with channelling in my mash, due to recirculating the wort at full pump in to one position in the mash tun. It basically leaves a cone of grain.

How do people avoid this?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

What false bottom are you using? What kettle?
What is your mash (conversion) efficiency?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you think that it's going straight in where you can see the tube enter the water? Thanks again.

Yes I did. By the way it is pooling in one spot it looked like that to me. Looking closer I can see what you're saying. Because the outlet flow is hitting the tubing where it first goes into the mash,it is disturbing the flow and causing the small whirlpool.

I had all these same problems until I started using the SS sparge manafold. I don't have any problems with grain getting stuck in the manafold. It slows down the flow a little, but i don't think 5 gpm flow rate is really necessary. I'm down to about 3 gpm, and it seems to work fine. Although the slower flow rate may contribute to the temperature difference between the HLT and the MLT outlet. Mine is about 1 degree different, so I just set the HLT 1 degree higher than I want the MLT to be.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark - thank you for the reply. I will check out that manifold. Another thought is to maybe get a longer hose to bypass where it's coming down and getting disturbed like you mentioned. I am replacing my hoses before my next batch anyway so may as well see if your idea fixes the issue. Good brewing to you!
lasersnake

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just an update. I decided to make a makeshift sparge ring/mash recirculation manifold out of a tee and some silicone tube with some holes punched out of it. I am getting no channelling and my mash efficiency has gone up 8% as well!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of your setup?
What false bottom are you using? What kettle?
What is your mash (conversion) efficiency now?

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had those issues and what I've done is just adjust my water to my grain after starting recirculation and not go with an exact grain/water ratio, it seems every batch can be a little different, I just make sure I have 2 or more inches of water on top of the grain bed to allow for even recirculation, now if you stir the grain floats to the top but will drop down shortly
lasersnake

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a domed false bottom and I have attached some photos of the set up now, sorry I dont have any of it in action.

My mash efficiency is up around 78% when it was approximately 70% previously... I know it doesn't matter too much as long as you know what it is and its consistent so heres hoping it is consistent!

Mash.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mash.jpg
 Filesize:  262.64 KB
 Downloaded:  552 Time(s)

Mash Recirculation.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mash Recirculation.jpg
 Filesize:  177.4 KB
 Downloaded:  530 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell just from pictures, but my guess would be side-wall shunting due to gaps between your false bottom and the kettle. It seems to sit along the edge of the kettle base as it becomes narrower at the bottom and that position is haphazard. There is no shelf for the kettle bottom and false bottom to make good solid contact as in some designs like so:

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview?page=6

Nothing wrong with 78% mash efficiency. IMHO, consistent mash efficiency is more important than high mash efficiency. That said, depends on how much you brew. Using a higher mash efficiency setup that cost more that gets you into 90-95% range could pay off in the long run. It depends on your brewing rate. People are sometimes scared at the higher cost of certain equipment, but in some cases it's an upfront cost that pays off in the long run.

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: