Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Yeast Bank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Yeast Bank Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I’ve been thinking a lot recently about getting liquid yeast for my brews which is no easy job considering I live in Thailand. Dry yeast is readily available but liquid yeast is very hard to get hold of because of transportation issues and the hot temperatures the yeast could be exposed to whilst out for delivery.

I’m travelling back to the Uk for 2 weeks soon and decided to stock up on Wyeast 1318 and 1968 whilst there. Rather than just use it I started thinking about freezing it so I have plenty for future brews.

I then stumbled across this fantastic article with a step by step guide on how to do it over at HomebrewTalk.... the best think about it is that it’s easy to do.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/guide-to-making-a-frozen-yeast-bank.35891/

This method has been tried and tested by several people on the forum and looks like the answer to my problem. I have bought all of the equipment and will do this once I return from Blighty.

I will be making 10 vials of 1318 and 10 of 1968. That should be enough to keep me in beer for a long time at a fraction of the cost.

Has anybody else tried their hand at freezing?

I will report back once I have completed the first batch.

Rivet
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you brought this up - I'm starting to do the exact same thing. More for fun than anything else.

Here's two more links:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/do-you-know-how-to-make-a-yeast-starter-then-why-not-farm-yeast-and-freeze-it.269488/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/freezing-yeast.html

I will also report back with any findings.
perogi.
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reads as well. Keep me posted on how it turns out and I will do the same.

I’m confident it will work.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canning wort and some glycerin tonight. Terrified that the canner is going to blow up the house. Smile - edit: house still here. Was actually pretty easy.

Going to also get a starter going for the yeast that I want to bank.

Last edited by perogi on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I always have (and don't see answered that often) is, "how long can I store yeast for using a frozen yeast bank?" The idea sounds fun and awesome, and I might do it just for that reason for my next project... but otherwise, for brewing 12-15 batches per year, it doesn't seem to have a ton of advantages if you can't store the yeast for a long time.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
"how long can I store yeast for using a frozen yeast bank?"

If frozen properly it can be kept somewhat indefinitely - I would have no concerns using it after a year or two, or even longer.
Many people that do it, do it to build up a bank of all sorts of different yeasts that they rarely use.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout this website. There is a very good discussion on several ways to bank yeast.
https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/yeast-banking-1-introduction/

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but you should try to create a healthy yeast count from a saved slant, it literally takes 3 or 4 starters to bring it up to pitching rates

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 11 - 50ml tubes filled and chilling in the refrigerator. 25ml of it was really thick slurry. Glycerin was at ~15%

Calc from starter: 669 billion cells

Might need two or three tubes to be able to use a single starter.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went though a 3lb bag of dme making yeast and saved 6 - 45ml tubes of pure yeast slurry, I just have them stored in my 34F fridge

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I just went though a 3lb bag of dme making yeast and saved 6 - 45ml tubes of pure yeast slurry, I just have them stored in my 34F fridge

My wife kicked me out of the kitchen freezer so I bought a small freezer to store hops and now those 50ml tubes of yeast/glycerin. Should be interesting to see how they hold up over a few months.
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My equipment for this is arriving as we speak. Just waiting for the 20 autoclavable vials and I’ll be ready to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: