Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fermentation Chamber Build-Upright Freezer or Refrigerator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny240v

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Fermentation Chamber Build-Upright Freezer or Refrigerator? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm at the early stages of putting together a fermentation chamber, and am looking for advice regarding whether I should go with an upright freezer or a refrigerator? I'm looking on CL and could go either way right now. I've built a keezer and like the simplicity of a freezer builds. But I don't want to try to haul fermenters in and out of a chest freezer though.

Part of my reluctance to go with a refrigerator is its complexity--would I regulate the temperature by turning on/off the compressor? Or would I control the air flow from the freezer to the refrigerator? I've also seen refrigerator builds where separation between the freezer and refrigerator is removed so its one big compartment.

Anything I should be concerned about regarding the defrost cycle of a freezer? I suppose it might not matter since it will be above freezing and frost won't build up. Other than that an upright freezer seems simpler--slap on a thermostat override and its pretty much good to go--maybe remove some shelves and add a fan or two.

Best, J240v
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Kal will chime in here, but he uses a wine fridge. The only issue I see is that a wine refrigerator is that it will only go to 40 degrees or so. Inside, this will be ideal, but if outside (protected) in hot weather I am not sure there is sufficient cooling or insulation. For me I have no choice, I need the insulation of the freezer and with the proper controller you can do everything you likely need. Front loading Freezers (new) are not that much more than a chest freezer. I use 7.5 gal fermentors and while not light they are manageable at about 40# or so. If I had it to do it again I would opt for the upright freezer.....check the holiday sales.

Henry
Johnny240v

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot to like about the glass front wine fridges. In a perfect world I would get a big deli case with a glass front.

But cost gets me a bit, especially when I can get a used upright freezer for less with much more cold space. My 10 gal fermenters would push the space constraints of a wine fridge. I like the option of having space for keg cold storage also. Luckily I just moved into a new place and will have the space.

Best, J240v
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no performance difference between a used craig's list fridge or freezer running off a temp controller like this one: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/temperature-controller
And something else with temp control built in for the range you want to use.

More info in my "Ferment and Package" page: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

You'll note that one of the first things I mention is "Different brewers will use different types of fermentation vessels based mostly on personal preference and convenience, not because one necessarily makes better beer than another."

The same is true for fridges/freezers. The yeast doesn't know if you have glass front doors or not. Wink

Choose whatever meets your needs/budget/aesthetic appeal (if even a factor) and go for it. Often the issue is space/trying to fit fermenters into the fridge or freezer. Make sure to measure and use something that works for whatever fermenters you want to use.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would think about with regards to upright or chest freezer is getting the kegs in and out. Chest freezers are nice in the fact that you don't loose much cold air when you open the door to swap kegs but it can be hard on the back. Uprights are nice and convenient to move stuff around but sometimes you don't have the storage capacity of the chest freezer. Or if you have a full door upright you will need to build a shelf above the bottom kegs to have space for more kegs.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an upright freezer so I can put in my 14.5 gallon conical easily. It works great and I set the temp controller to whatever temp I want and it gets there with no problem. I also have a thermowell and I put the probe in that, which is inside the concial. I can do ales or lagers and I do not have any issues with defrosting or anything. Just plain works. Refrigerators will also work and many people use them also. Some people prefer one over the other but both will work. Price sometimes plays a role too. Good luck!

John

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Chest freezers are nice in the fact that you don't loose much cold air when you open the door to swap kegs

it's the other mass in the freezer that matters not the air.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you keep it cold enough the kegs will stay that temperature then cool the freezer back up almost instantly at least if its packed like mine
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larrysand wrote:
>>Chest freezers are nice in the fact that you don't loose much cold air when you open the door to swap kegs

it's the other mass in the freezer that matters not the air.

It isn't actually.

I believe what dp Brewing Company meant by "Chest freezers are nice in the fact that you don't loose much cold air when you open the door to swap kegs" is that it's more energy efficient.

The kegs themselves don't warm up to any degree when you open a fridge door for even 5-10 minutes because of the amount of thermal mass present with a full 5 gallon keg. There just isn't enough time for a 5 gallon container of liquid to warm up to any degree. It's all the cold air that falls out such that when you close the door the fridge has to re-cool the warm air that replaced the cold air that fell out.

With chest freezer that doesn't happen.

That said, Given how often you open/close a keg freezer or fridge to change a keg, I don't think it matters at all. So that energy loss from opening is very small as it doesn't happen dozens of times a day. Most would only do it once a week or so or worst case once every few days.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kal, that is what I meant.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fermentation Chamber Build-Upright Freezer or Refrigerat Reply with quote

Going back to the original post:
Johnny240v wrote:
I've built a keezer and like the simplicity of a freezer builds. But I don't want to try to haul fermenters in and out of a chest freezer though.

I'm the same way. I don't mind lifting 5 gallon corny kegs in and out of a chest freezer (especially out as they're empty) because they're industrial and incredibly resilient with rubber bottoms and big thick handles on the top. They're meant to take abuse and be tossed around.

A full fermenter on the other hand, forget it. Especially something like a glass carboy. If you plan on doing that I'd put them in milk crates first. Plastic buckets with handles could work too but they'd be a pain.

I wouldn't even try most other types of fermenters like conicals or similar. I'd have to fill in place. (Put the sanitized fermenter in the chest freezer and pump into it, then pump out of it after fermentation is done).

Good luck!

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say go with an upright freezer. I personally think it would be better for doing lagers if you ever choose to do so, and as mentioned, it's a lot easier to get kegs in and out of. I also agree that could be super difficult (and potentially dangerous) getting glass carboys and fermenters in and out of a chest freezer. You'll save yourself from getting: a tweaked back, smashed fingers, damaged equipment, money in the swear jar and lost beer.

This is certainly not "easier", but like Kal mentioned "due to available space and aesthetic", this is what I did. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320736#320736
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could try another route.

I was extremely limited on space and I couldn't fit a chest freezer or refrigerator down my stairs and into my small brew room. I decided that the max I would ferment at a time was 12 gallons so I picked up a 14.5 gallon stainless conical (later on I also picked up a 7.5 gal). Initially I used cold plates and reptile pads to control the temps. I could get the temps down to 50F but wanted to do better so I picked up a glychol chiller and went the DIY route. I'm still taking up very little floor space and I have the ability to cold crash and do a closed transfer to my kegs. Only thing I wish I had was a brite so I could free up fermenters.
Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an upright freezer and overall have been happy with it but have found one issue with it. I ferment in an 14 gal. stainless steel conical. It works great controlling temperatures when fermenting. The one problem I have is when I crash chill, If I just lower the temperature down to 35 or so the beer in the bottom conical( the cone ) will start to freeze before the rest of the beer gets cold and my Inkbird shuts the freezer off. I get around this by dropping the temperature only about 10 degrees at a time. I still usually fill the conical in the freezer as it is difficult to lift even 12 gallons of beer without risking back injury.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezers are generally cheaper than refrigerators. That said, one big advantage with a refrigerator is humidity control. A full size refrigerator uses a fan to move the cold air and condensation is captured by the condenser coils and the water drips into a pan under the unit and evaporates.
gavalanche

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a pair of these beverage coolers from Sam's: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/126-can-dsv-in-club-886159/prod18910248.ip

* Fits the 7-gallon SS BrewBucket perfectly, even with the Brewmaster Edition's thermometer mounted on front
* Also tall enough to fit a ball lock keg, should the need ever arise
* Temperature range of 32 to 60 degrees. Higher temps can be reached with an external temp controller
* Temp is set digitally, and remembers its temperature if the power goes out and comes back on
* Cool-looking blue light (which can be toggled off)
* Door is reversible, which looks nice when you have them side-by-side
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: