Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cooling advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Cooling advice Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After reading every post I can find I am still not sure on the best course of action. Summer in Az means 85-90 degree ground water which means super precolling. I am thinking about a big late chiller with ice water to bring down the ground water to something near 50 and feed you That to the counter flow. No cleaning issues but then the question then is how many plates? My first thought was that o use my immersion chiller as a pre chill with ice water but I am not sure it will bring 90 degree water to 50-60 in one pass. I Would try it but not yet set up. Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Henry
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

Doing one pass down to pitch temps can be difficult (especially lagers which should be chilled to ~50F).
What are you using to ferment? On option that can be done is to do the initial chilling to get to 85-90F and then use whatever you're using to chill when fermenting to go the rest of the way as long as it's reasonably quick (like overnight). One pass is always less risky however as the less time the wort sits before you pitch the better.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Kal. I am using a SS fermenter and could do the overnight thing, but I guess the real question is "would a plate chiller bring the 90 degree down to say 40 to 45 degree using ice water"....then, with 45 degree water to the CFC I should be able to bring the wort down to something close to 50-55 degrees in one pass. If I need a little more for say a lager, then a few hours in the fermenter in the fermenting box should do the trick........Has anyone actually tried this?

Henry
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="windquest"]Thanks for the quick reply Kal. I am using a SS fermenter and could do the overnight thing, but I guess the real question is "would a plate chiller bring the 90 degree down to say 40 to 45 degree using ice water"....then, with 45 degree water to the CFC I should be able to bring the wort down to something close to 50-55 degrees in one pass. If I need a little more for say a lager, then a few hours in the fermenter in the fermenting box should do the trick........Has anyone actually tried this?

Here's what I do for my lagers!

Two-Stage Heat Exchange:
You'll need two chillers & two pumps.(make sure second chiller is sanitized)

Stage-One: Pump wort from BK thru 1st Chiller using ground water 60F-80F. (this is your knock down stage)

Adjust flow rate. (slow flow rate for maximum heat exchange)

Stage-Two: Setup a 15-20 gallon ice bath, using MT . (recirculate @ WOT),

Continue pumping thru second Chiller monitoring temp and adjusting flow rate.

Option B: glycol chiller, second stage only!

Last edited by Tennessee on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer/early fall, I often will pitch hours later or the next morning, allowing my ferm chamber to cool the rest of the way (typically from 75F down to ferm temp). Never had any issues with it; neither should you as long as your other sanitation processes are adequate.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, but it does depend on the beer. Some of my hoppier beers have a huge charge of hops at flameout that I want to chill really fast to lock in the flavour/aroma quickly, trying to limit the steeping time (which creates bitterness) so I'll sometimes chill super fast to only 80F or so and then use the fermenting fridges to take it the rest of the way. I find it gives a really nice hop "brightness".

For something that only has a 60 min hop addition (all bitterness) I don't really care - often these are lagers that I need to chill down closer to 50F so I'll take longer to get closer to that target so that there's less delay between chill and pitch.

Most of my pitches are within 4-6 hours of chilling, but in some rare cases it's ~12 hours because it's the next morning. Like Tungsten, never had any issues.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: