Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water profile..should I use RO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Water profile..should I use RO? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While I am still in the building stage at my new location in AZ, I thought I would take Kal's advice and send a water sample off to Ward Labs to see what I am dealing with before brew day.....Here are the results....I was not expecting this at all...Maybe I should stop drinking it with TDS at 1048! Comments please

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 1048
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.75
Cations / Anions, me/L 15.0 / 14.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 202
Potassium, K 17
Calcium, Ca 96
Magnesium, Mg 12
Total Hardness, CaCO3 290
Nitrate, NO3-N 1.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 22
Chloride, Cl 355
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 190
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 156
Total Phosphorus, P < 0.01
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Henry
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's got some pretty high levels of stuff in it that we care about for brewing. You have:

Calcium, Ca 96
Magnesium, Mg 12
Sodium, Na 202
Chloride, Cl 355
Sulfate, SO4 66 (We want SO4 which means you multiply by SO4-S by 3)

The compare that to what I mention in my water adjustment guide and the various profiles I use/recommend myself: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=3

Quote:
Calcium (Ca): Essentially flavour neutral. Promotes clarity and flavour stability of the final beer. Affects enzymatic activity in the mash, protein coagulation during the boil and benefits yeast health. Typical brewing range is 50-150 ppm.

At 96 your calcium is more or less fine, you won't be able to brew any really soft beers like a bo-pils however, at least not to style.

Quote:
Magnesium (Mg): Adds a sour, astringent flavour. An important yeast nutrient, required at a level of least 5 ppm. Levels above 125 ppm have a laxative effect (fun times).Typical brewing range is 5-40 ppm.

At 12 you're fine.

Quote:
Sodium (Na): Rounds out flavours and accentuates sweetness. Lower concentration tends to produce a cleaner flavour. May taste salty above 150 ppm and harsh/sour above 250 ppm. Typical brewing range is 0-50 ppm.

At 202 you're really high. It's going to be a real flavour enhancer. I would cut this with RO to drop it well below 50, or just brew with RO.

Quote:
Chloride (Cl): Accentuates flavour by making a beer fuller bodied, rounder, and to appear sweeter. May taste salty above 250 ppm and will affect yeast health above 300 ppm. Typical brewing range is 0-250 ppm.

At 355 it's *really* high. You need to cut this with most beers.

Quote:
Sulphate (SO4): Accentuates hop bitterness/dryness/crispness. May become astringent above 400 ppm. Typical brewing range is 50-350ppm.

At 66 it's ok. You can't make really soft beers like a bo-pils however, at least not to style.

It's Na and Cl that concern me. It would be interesting to try an NEIPA with this water as is just for morbid curiosity. It may actually turn out pretty well even with the really high Na or it may be a muddled, too soft, possibly even slightly salty tasting mess. For NEIPAs I normally do Ca=100, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100, and you have Ca=96, Mg=12, Na=202, Cl=355, SO4=66

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=3

Is this softened well water? That would explain the high Na. If yes, don't use softened water. Take water before the softener. A water softener replaces minerals like calcium and magnesium that you want in our beer (to varying degrees) with sodium which you want to limit in beer as lower concentrations tend to produce a cleaner flavour. Too much sodium may result in an unpleasant metallic/bitter aftertaste.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for you fast and thoughtful reply. I already corrected the SO4, the water report was 22. I was concern about the TDS. My wife and lived on a sailboat for 10 years cruising the world and monitored our ro system carefully and anything over 800 was really bad! With a hardness level so high, we were thinking about a water softener, but with these levels, I am not so sure....except that I won't brew with softened water and I think that your suggestion of using RO water is sound. So now is the question of getting an RO system or just buying distilled, and of course correct it up. At these levels, I would have to use 75% RO water anyway to get in the ball game.

This is a private water company so it is hard to tell much about the origin. The good news is that I have some time to figure out what to do as I still have a months work or more before 1st brew on the new system.

Thanks very much Kal,

Henry
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re welcome Henry!

windquest wrote:
I already corrected the SO4, the water report was 22.

Are you sure? You mentioned SO4-S as being 22 in your first post which makes sense sinc Ward labs reports in SO4-S. To translate to SO4 that we care about, multiply by 3. So if they reported 22, the SO4 is 66.

Completely up to you, but if that was my water I’d use RO.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your absolutely right, no beer from this......heck, I not sure I want to drink it.....in fact, without a charcoal filter, I don't...just taste BAD.\

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: