Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Slow or no fermentation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Slow or no fermentation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know a airlock or blow off tube is not a for sure sign that fermentation is not taken place. I ferment in kegs so I do not get the visual signs. I brewed a 5 gal batch of a Peanut Butter Jelly Ale for the wife Sunday June 3rd with 2 packs of liquid WLP002 and saw absolutely no signs for 2 days, I gave the keg a little shake and it seemed to take off after that. Now Saturday June 9th I brewed another 10 gal round of Electric Hop Candy Jr., pitched 4 smack packs of 1318 and still absolutely no signs of activity. What I can say is I placed the order of yeast with some grains the Monday prior to Memorial day with hopes of getting by the weekend. It ended up shipping later in the week which put it here the following week. So of the packs felt warm but not hot, but I do not know if the overheated somewhere in shipping. What my question would be if I need to re pitch how long is to long for wort to sit at 68 degrees before I would need to just take my losses and just dump. Any ideas?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your OG? When you say kegs, are you talking about Corny kegs or sankey? If you are fermenting in corny kegs I would recommend just hooking up CO2 and tap and draw some out and check the gravity to see if there is a change. I defiantly wouldn't dump it. If there is no change in gravity, just add more yeast and ferment out. Also, fermenting in Corny kegs can be a challenge getting enough pressure to seal the lid. So CO2 may be leaking around the seal.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sankey Keg with a "NorCal Sanke Keg Cross Fermenter Kit". OG was 1.050. I close transfer from boil kettle through chiller into fermenter then open it, aerate and pitch yeast. If I re pitch, do I aerate again and pitch the original amount of yeast? Hate to mess this up. This is my second batch of Kal's Electric Hop Candy Jr and definitely not a beer I want to mess up. First one came out great.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull a sample and check the current gravity before you do anything.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I asked the wife to go check on it and she sent me a video of it bubbling away. These yeast are just @!#?@ me off. They are stressing me out.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal! Glad all is good. We've all been there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: