Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

My simple 240v 5500w Panel Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genuine

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: My simple 240v 5500w Panel Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Been lurking the electric forums for years and built a K-Rims brewing rig with a buddy of mine a couple years ago. I was so pleased with how quickly we could brew a 5 gallon batch (right around 4 hours) and with great efficiency. I liked the smaller foot print, uses only one pump and the best part- no more propane! Here it is:

The first controller we built uses 2 PID's, one to monitor temp, one to control, then a switch for the element and a switch for the pump. Mine Panel build is going to be a simple one PID, with one switch for a pump and one switch for the element. I have no need for the alarms but left room to expand if I wanted to get a bit more fancy.

What I was using prior to this, is a simple STC-1000 Controller Mini E Herms system using a 1000w hotplate to keep mash temps consistent (you can see the hotrod heatstick heating up strike water with a 2000w element, 120v and 20a outlet)

And then using my trusty Bayou Classic Banjo Burner for the boil:

Long Story Short - I purchased a house a year and a half ago with my wife and she agreed I could have my own area to brew in the basement - and the excitement ensued........

So, After spending countless hours learning and researching and planning - I finally took the plunge and got started.

I ordered a bunch of supplies and started to figure out placement:

I then cut all the holes needed, cleaned it up and painted it...and began installing components this morning:

Tonight I'll install the rest of the components and will start wiring.

Things Left to Order/Do:
-Begin Wiring
-Test
-Order Element, and 10/3 Cable for HotRod Heatstick. I currently have a 2000w 120v element in there with 12/3 cable (using to heat up strike water on my 20a 120v outlet I have in the basement)...which I'm on the fence about using for 5500w element. Pros/cons would be appreciated (plus it would save me some extra work).
-Power Wire and figure out if I'm going to put in a GFCI Breaker or go the Spa Panel Route.

I've ordered a couple 1/2" Detachable RTD's from Amazon, and have received a 4 pin detached cable. I returned the first one for being a 4 pin and wanting the 3 pin since that's what it looks like everyone is using and got another 4 pin in the mail yesterday. Main reason for going with the 3 Pin is because I want to get a 2nd RTD to install through the T in my boil gettle (will need RTD with 6" long probe) and I noticed that Auber Ins has that with 3 pin RTD. Anyone else using 4 pin?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Genuine

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Proud to say that everything worked like a charm! I just have to get a couple different odds and ends to complete it the re circulation (fittings mainly) and then I can give her a real test run and autotune the PID.

I'm deciding if I should keep the 4 Pin Detachable RTD Sensor or just return for a 3 Pin. Ultimately, I wanted to get a 6" RTD from Auber and put that in through the T on my kettle, where my analog temp dial is now instead of drilling another hole. Auber's RTD's are 3 Pin and would make it easier.

Genuine

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick Mock-Up before I get the Brew Stand built. Finished soldering the temp sensor connections. I'm also waiting on a couple T, Elbow, camlock and new hoses before the whole thing is operational and can do a water test, auto-tune PID and test the counterflow wort chiller.

Edit - I originally wasn't going to install a L14-30RFI for the power cable but, after trying to move it around with the cable attached, it's annoying as all hell. Plus I just picked up a dryer plug to L14-30 connector extension to get power to where I want to brew. I'll be picking that up this weekend and figuring out a place to install the receptacle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: