Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer resetting

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NelsonTheCat

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi
I've just signed up - hello!

I've assembled my box from the bits supplied and I'm really happy. I can't wait to get brewing but there is just one thing I can't figure out. I must have made a mistake and even though I've been over the wiring multiple times and checked the diagrams I can't see it.

The problem is with the Eagle Signal B506 timer. It just keeps resetting. The manual says if a coil is wired in parallel with RESET (pin 7) or START ( pin 6) then those signals will be continuously active. I've isolated everything off the neutral bus one by one and the behavior is always there. It only goes away if I disconnect the POWER IN RELAY coil and wire the timer directly. So here's the main question: is the coil for the power in relay in parallel with the start and reset pins on the timer? It looks like it but I can't get my head round the fact the I've been googling and nobody talks about it. I must have done something wrong with my wiring and I must not understand the parallel (or not) nature of the power in relay coil.

Any thoughts on the parallel coil question would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Nelson
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

NelsonTheCat wrote:
The problem is with the Eagle Signal B506 timer. It just keeps resetting.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by resetting? Say you set the timer to 10:00.

(1) Can you can reset the countdown by pressing the RESET pushbutton momentarily and once released it'll start counting down as per normal (9:59, 9:58, 9:57, etc) but that after a while (a few seconds? minutes?) it'll reset back to the initial countdown of 10:00 and start over without you touching anything?

(2) Or that it always just displays 10:00 as if you were holding in the RESET pushbutton?

(3) Or something else?

If it's (1), you've got an intermittent short somewhere most likely.
If it's (2), you have a short somewhere between the NEUTRAL bus and pin 7 on the timer holding it always at the reset state.

Quote:
It only goes away if I disconnect the POWER IN RELAY coil and wire the timer directly.

Wire the time directly how exactly?

Given that the issue's around the POWER IN RELAY coil I would suspect that there's a wiring problem around there. Is there someone else that can review your wiring for you? Often what we see is if someone is overlooking some of the instructions, reviewing their own work doesn't identify the issue. A fresh set of eyes help. For example, in the SAFE START wiring instructions there's a wire that needs to be removed. Sometimes that step is overlooked.

Quote:
So here's the main question: is the coil for the power in relay in parallel with the start and reset pins on the timer? It looks like it but I can't get my head round the fact the I've been googling and nobody talks about it.

I think you're asking if the control panel design (i.e. the wiring diagrams) creates the condition you quote from the manual that says "if a coil is wired in parallel with RESET (pin 7) or START ( pin 6) then those signals will be continuously active".
That can't be true, otherwise the timer wouldn't work for anyone.

I would go through your wiring again - something is most likely wired incorrectly. A fresh set of eyes often helps. Good luck!

Kal

P.S. I've split your post from the thread where you originally had posted to keep it separate.

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
NelsonTheCat

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, appreciate the fast response.

Timer counts down as expected and triggers the alarm/lamp at zero if the switch is in position. The reset button starts it again as expected. I should have held back from my initial post as the problem is not a reset which sets the timer back to the start. Reset was the wrong word to use. What I see is the timer counting down, then the display goes off, comes back on, flashes up NP or F (I think) then resumes the count down. I think it's a loose connection somewhere, bad crimp maybe. I'm taking it apart to check the connections.

I wired the timer directly to check it by taking timer pin 10 directly to 120VAC and timer reset pushbutton 3 to neutral with the power to the box disconnected.

I totally take your point about the design not triggering the pin 6 or 7 parallel coil condition - I knew it could not be the case because as you say it would not work for everyone else who uses the B506 but the thought was distracting me & I wanted to ask so I could mentally park it.

Wiring review by someone else is the correct next step.

Cheers
Nelson
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer Reply with quote

NelsonTheCat wrote:
I should have held back from my initial post as the problem is not a reset which sets the timer back to the start. Reset was the wrong word to use. What I see is the timer counting down, then the display goes off, comes back on, flashes up NP or F (I think) then resumes the count down. I think it's a loose connection somewhere, bad crimp maybe. I'm taking it apart to check the connections.

Gotcha!

You're probably seeing it flash "PF" (for Power Failure). That's what it does for a split second after power is lost. When the timer comes back, it'll continue in its current state (one of the benefits of this timer and the reason we use it/recommend it).

There's probably a loose connection somewhere as you mentioned. If it works without issues wiring another way, I'd focus on the areas that you've bypassed as that's likely where the loose connection is. We know it's not the timer since wiring it from elsewhere seems to work fine.

Let us know how you make out!

Kal

NelsonTheCat

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: EAGLE SIGNAL B506 timer Reply with quote

The problem seems to have been a bad jumper on the neutral bus bar. I just made a solid copper link to replace the jumpers and so far the timer is behaving correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to read my messages and respond.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Simple fixes are always the best!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: