Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer Filtration: Cartridge vs Plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Beer Filtration: Cartridge vs Plate Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone have experience with either a cartridge or plate filter for beer? any reviews or thoughts on these? I've read pros and cons of beer filtering in general and understand the techniques used to produce clearer beer without mechanical filters - this post is for anyone that may be interested in considering filtering equipment to augment non-mechanical means. My particular interest would be for competition beers (lights and pales) on special occasions (not everyday use).
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike "Tasty" McDole did a podcast with Jamil Zainsheff on the topic of filtering and he spoke specifically of his experiences with a plate filter. It was quite a long time ago, maybe 2009. Perhaps search the Brewing Network.

I took my own advice:

Brew Strong
June 01, 2009
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post457/
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good podcast and tips. Palmer used a plate filter (7 to 5 micron). For competitions, he filters again with 3 to 1 micron. I'm also considering two-cartridge setup for two stage filtering.

https://www.amazon.com/iFilters-Sediment-Comparable-Cartridges-Included/dp/B079NX153V/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1525533414&sr=8-3&keywords=ifilters&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=7066c713b330ac60c1afb13505fe57c8
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a two-stage cartridge filter system (stage 1 pre-filter 5 micron, stage 2 finishing 1 micron). Coming soon - test results of filtered vs. unfiltered beer. Phase 1 complete - brewed a pale ale test of 2.5 gallon batch and used 2 oz of Amarillo for dry hopping. Secondary and Tertiary fermentations racked to a keg and cold crashed (no filtering). Phase 2 in progress, same recipe, but with filtering before racking. Taste, color and appearance to be evaluated...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: