Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water Adjustments in MLT vs. BK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Water Adjustments in MLT vs. BK Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Kal,

Thanks for the article on water chemistry. Thanks - very helpful. I did not want to read that whole book on water Crying or Very sad

I use Beersmith for my brewing software. It adds all salts to the MLT. It does break up the additions between the MLT and BK like the spreadsheet that you reference. Are there noticeable advantages to breaking up the additions as you suggest, or is it acceptable to add all of the salts to the MLT?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some brewers choose to add all their salts at once. That's fine, as long as your mash pH doesn't get too low. Sometimes you may have enough salts you want to add that it's going to lower the pH too far. An example would be a beer with lots of dark grains as that tends to push the pH down. In that case you may want to not add *any* of the salts to the mash, but all to the boil.

At the end of the day, do whatever works for you and creates the flavours you're looking for.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Beersmith says to add to the mash and does not have a calc for the boil, you think it's better to split the addition 50/50 HLT/BK?
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Beer Smith for both additions by setting up one calculation for the mash water quantity and another for the sparge water quantity. Then add the sparge water salts to the boil kettle. Or just use EZ Water Calculator and let it do the work. I chose the latter.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could do that, Mark. I'll check it out. I thought BS over EZ would be better since it does an automatic calculation. I'll try both and see. Thanks.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many ways to achieve your desired results. IMO this brewery setup is perfect for adding all salts to the HLT. (Excepting acid or soda, which are added directly to the MT)
Less measuring and margin for error. For example, I put 20 Gallons RO in the HLT and base my calculations off that.
Mike, when you check out BS and EZ, you likely will find different results.
BS is known for it's inaccuracies, particularly with lactic additions. I'm a fan of BS but would not recommend using this feature.
I use Bru'nWater. Its calculations consistently match my Ph readings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: