Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How to wire on/off switch w/ light activated

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: How to wire on/off switch w/ light activated Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm helping a buddy wire up his panel. We're all done except I can't figure out how to activate the light on his lighted switch. Anyone have any thoughts. This is just a blue lighted switch. The switch works because it turns on the panel when it is flipped but the light doesn't come on.

IMG_0348.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.43 KB
 Viewed:  7873 Time(s)

IMG_0348.jpg

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways - it depends on how the switch is made / how it works internally. You'll have to refer to the documentation that comes with the switch. It should give you wiring examples.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately he didn't get any instructions with it and all their website says is "if wired up correctly the light will illuminate". I'll reach out to that supplier. Just thought I would check here first in case it was something simple.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some switches will have a third contactor you need to wire the power through (this one doesn't appear to have a third), others will have two separate screws somewhere that you need to wire the power through.

It is usually pretty straight forward - it's just figuring out where the extra contact points are and then deciding how/when you want the light to come on (in which state) and wiring in the light together with that action, just as if it was a separate light (because that's really what it is). It's a separate light that is simply in the same chassis as the switch operator/selector.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured it out. I have to remove the NC block and wire the power to the led from #3. Then back to neutral (white) on the led out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: