Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop - Extremely Bitter - bad tasting after carbing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiegs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Electric Hop - Extremely Bitter - bad tasting after carbing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for some suggestions on what could have gone wrong. Brewed Electric Hop Candy and numbers were on. Beer tasted juicy and great before being transferred to 2 separate kegs. Now it's undrinkable. Extremely bitter, no citrusy/juicy flavor. Been carbing for about a week at 12 psi. Had one keg carbing at 38 deg C and another around 45 deg C.

Any thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

How and why are you carbing at two different temps? And how or why are you carbing at 38 deg C and 45 deg C ? That's an extremely high temperature. No beer likes to be at that temperature.

How's the beer look? Does it look infected?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
spiegs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the temp was in deg F not C. Beer is definitely extremely cloudy but I did forget to add whirlfloc. The only thing I can think is that it's dominated by sediment right now. How much do you usually pitch after kegging?

Also wondering if this is carbonic acid I'm tasting. Never had this in ~10 years of brewing.

Last edited by spiegs on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is it but a bunch of people I know including me have reported bad tasting CO2, it leaves a terrible taste in the beer, the fix was to bleed the head space several times and lower the pressure, it seamed to help it wont have anything to do with bitterness but that could just be carbonation bite

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OMB, I was wondering if this was carbonic bite I'm tasting. I'll give that a shot.
spiegs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

How and why are you carbing at two different temps? And how or why are you carbing at 38 deg C and 45 deg C ? That's an extremely high temperature. No beer likes to be at that temperature.

How's the beer look? Does it look infected?

Kal

My buddy and I each have a keg and I put one in my kegerator and one in a freezer that's controlled by a temp controller.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiegs wrote:
Sorry, the temp was in deg F not C.

Ok - that makes more sense!

Quote:
Beer is definitely extremely cloudy but I did forget to add whirlfloc.

This beer should be very cloudy. It's part of the style (or should I say, it's a by-product of how the beer is made - most don't make an NEIPA cloudy on purpose, it simply is cloudy because that's what it looks like when you try and make a beer this flavourful. For complete details on this, give the recipe a read through - I talk about cloudiness).

Quote:
The only thing I can think is that it's dominated by sediment right now. How much do you usually pitch after kegging?

Do you mean how much sediment do I pitch? Some sediment and hops can get into the final serving keg. Let it settle for a day or two. It comes out in the first beer or two.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: