Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Oxygen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Oxygen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My question is about an oxygen cylinder as it used for yeast health/growth. I do hope I'm posting in the correct forum.

How long does the 1.4 oz (Bernzomatic, red cylinder) oxygen cylinder from a hardware store last?

I've now done 5 brews. Might actually be 10 since up until today I split the batch in 1/2. One half lager and the other have an ale. For each I give a 3 minute shot of O2. Forgot to do with one of the lagers. So, I've probably used the oxygen cylinder 9 times until today. 9 * 3 = 27 minutes.

Today I made a 10 gallon brown ale. Get ready to inject O2 and the cylinder runs out after about 1 minute. Geez... this didn't last long at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any quantitative results, but I seem to recall that the "red Home Depot" cylinders I used didn't even last as long as yours did. I switched to the 20# cylinder from the industrial gas supplier and figure that a single fill should last the rest of my brewing career. I did have to purchase a different regulator though-check the various web brew sites-I don't recall which one I got mine from.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a home depot bottle got it home and it was empty, I think people mess with them in the store

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pick up a few of the red ones in the store to try and feel the weight of them. I try to pick the heaviest one of the bunch. One time as I was picking up and feeling the weight I felt one that was extremely light compared to the others. It probably was a used empty one that someone returned and they put it back on the shelf. So if you pick out a tank that feels like a good weight, you probably have a pretty full one.

John

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll hit my wort (5 gal) with about a minute of gas for a 'regular' beer and more/less time for weaker/stronger batches. my cylinders seem to last a long time, maybe 18 or so batches. and those are ten gallon batches so 35 or so carboys out of a tank. i believe the key to long cylinder life is to crack the valve juuust enough to get some bubbles popping on top of the wort. anything more than that and the oxygen is lost to atmosphere.
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are wasteful with these O2 tanks.. I usually turn it enough so I can see bubbles if the stone is just below the surface. Then, I plunge it down deeper and swirl. I may turn it up some more, but not to the point where I see tons of O2 bubbling off. I don't want to see any bubbles on the surface that way. Why? Because it's dissolving into the wort where you want it. If you are using at a rate that makes a froth on top, you using too much. All that O2 is just dispersing into the air, not your beer.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an oxygen "liter meter" flow meter taped to the side of the bottle. I forget where I read it, but I adjust the flow (ball float) to 1/2 l/m for 20-30 seconds. Bottle last a long time. Scale is 0 to 2.5 liters.

Liter Meter.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.27 KB
 Viewed:  10328 Time(s)

Liter Meter.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: