Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Jesse's Beer Kitchen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Jesse's Beer Kitchen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been following this site for years and have learned a tremendous amount from Kal and the many contributors. I am immensely grateful for your write-ups and answers to my questions on this forum.

I built my beer kitchen to around 70% completion at our last house, in the garage. Then we bought and remodeled our current home over about a year, then I built out this kitchen [again], but this time in a room in the house. I've been waiting to share the results, but always think I'll do that after I change this, better photograph that, etc. It's a work in progress and the media isn't great...but so is life.

I've been brewing in it for almost three years, and am constantly adjusting various aspects. Here's a quick run-down:

- 30 gallon stainless kettles I found on Craigslist. I retrofitted them with ports, valves, tubing, etc.
    - Kal's back-to-back 50a control panel, built by Spike Innovations. Otherwise, I built/installed everything, mostly after the kids go to sleep.
    - Under the pumps and kettle outlets, I have a six foot long drain pan plumbed to wastewater...great for drips and draining hoses/kettles. Honestly, I don't know why more haven't done something like this.
    - The kettles have bottom/center outlet ports, which means I use a stainless mesh basket for whole leaf hops, and can't whirlpool. This might be the biggest challenge I've faced with my setup.
    - Four faucets in a keezer I built, adding four more faucets this month. I usually have four to six beers plus seltzer on tap
    - Mostly a clean in place set up, though I tip the mash tun to shovel out spent grains
    - Mostly brewing French/Belgian/farmhouse styles, lots of brett, some bacteria beers, usually a couple fruited beers late summer, lots of barrel aged beers
    - Currently upgrading the four zone carbonation for eight kegs - for between 2.2 and 5 volumes
    - Really trying to master beers like Orval, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Duvel, and some Trappiste Tripels and Quads
    - I mostly brew 15 gallon batches, occasionally 20 gallons (finished gallons). I experiment a lot with split batch/yeast variations (1x 12 gal conical, 2x 7 gal conical, carboys)
    - I probably brew 4-7 times a year, mostly because I work full time, have two young boys, a spouse, and other hobbies.
    - I also use this kitchen to process/age meat - mostly aged charcuterie...salami, prosciutto, copa, etc.

I'm currently plumbing a two bay sink, adding gas manifolds to the CO2 system for flexibility pressurizing eight kegs to four levels with suitable beer lines, and plumbing a water purifier.

Holler if you're ever in the Portland, Oregon area. It's kind of a beer wonderland.

Best,
Jesse

Transferring to ferms.jpg
 Description:
Rolling cooler for 13 gal fermenter (temp controlled, cold crashing, etc.)
 Filesize:  207.49 KB
 Viewed:  5414 Time(s)

Transferring to ferms.jpg

Boil.jpg
 Description:
Boil - 400 micron stainless hop basket
 Filesize:  166.02 KB

Boil.jpg

Hot side.jpg
 Description:
Hot side, 30 gallons kettles with drain pan
 Filesize:  234.34 KB

Hot side.jpg

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie

Last edited by jengum on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 pm; edited 23 times in total
View user's photo album (13 photos)
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have a pretty wicked set up... and always something to do.. a true labor of love.

cheers
-John
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound awesome! The link you provided is only for your personal viewing. You'll need to put the pictures elsewhere for people to view them. I'm interested in the drip pan you have set up.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo are here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=1176

(I also updated the original post).

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: