Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HLT Water Level for Mash Recirculation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: HLT Water Level for Mash Recirculation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just started to test out my system and ran through a brew process with just water - no grain. After heating up 17 gallons of water in my HLT I transferred 7 of those gallons to my MT for strike water, emulating a typical brew day. That left me with 10 gallons in the HLT. My HERMS coil is fully submerged at about 14 gallons (this was purchased from Kal, and the bottom hole of the coli sits about an inch above the heating element. The heating element is about 3 inches from the bottom, as instructed).

I've never used a HERMS system before. Do I refill the HLT, let it get to mash temp, then start recirculating, or do I start recirculating even though the coil isn't fully submerged? I'm not sure the right answer to this. If I have to fill and reheat another, say 4 gallons, that's going to take quite a bit of time and the strike water in the MT will begin to cool, taking a longer time to reheat before I can dough-in. Alternatively, if the coil isn't fully submerged I'm not sure if the mash that starts to run through it will stay at the desired target temp.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you mentioned starting with 17 gallons, I'm assuming you have 20 gallon kettles like me. I would fill your HLT more. Fill to 20 gallons.
See the step by step instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

That said, It's ok for the HERMS coil to be a bit exposed. Won't make much of a difference with heat transfer. Sometimes my water level is an inch or two below the top of the coil after I transfer strike water from HLT to MLT. No issues.

If you find that it's VERY exposed after you transfer because you're making some massive 1.110 beer that needs lots of strike water or your kettles are undersized, simply fill the MLT and HLT separately at the start of the brew day: Strike water in the MLT and then enough water to cover the HERMS in the HLT (or the sparge amount - whichever is more).

Are you sure the HLT element is 3" from the table top? Looking at your pics from another thread, there seems to be a lot more room under the HLT element box than what I have:

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure the HLT element is 3" from the table top? Looking at your pics from another thread, there seems to be a lot more room under the HLT element box than what I have

Not from the table top. I drilled the hole about 3", maybe 3 1/4 on center from the bottom of the kettle. My coil is about 1 1/2" on top of the heating element. See pics below

Quote:
simply fill the MLT and HLT separately at the start of the brew day: Strike water in the MLT and then enough water to cover the HERMS in the HLT (or the sparge amount - whichever is more).

Sorry, I don't understand. The MLT doesn't have a heating element. Start the recirculation at the time you start to heat up the water in the HLT?

IMG_1209.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.01 KB
 Viewed:  6406 Time(s)

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.02 KB
 Viewed:  6406 Time(s)

IMG_1208.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike0416 wrote:
Quote:
simply fill the MLT and HLT separately at the start of the brew day: Strike water in the MLT and then enough water to cover the HERMS in the HLT (or the sparge amount - whichever is more).

Sorry, I don't understand. The MLT doesn't have a heating element. Start the recirculation at the time you start to heat up the water in the HLT?

Correct!

I've had to do that once or twice when making REALLY high gravity beers that need a ton of strike water like my 1.100 russian imperial stout: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27428

And my 1.112 Barleywine: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25256

In both recipes I mention you'll most likely have to fill the kettles separately.

But that said, fill your HLT to 20 gallons instead of 17 and you'll probably be fine for most beers doing it the 'normal' way.

Some people with really small HLTs have to always fill their MLT and HLT separately and start recirculating right away while heating the HLT.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, as usual. Thanks Karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: