Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Reminder: Check your pump thrust washers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, Cali Common, Maibock, Helles, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reminder: Check your pump thrust washers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

When you take your pump heads apart once a year or two for a deep clean, check the thrust washer too (the little white Teflon washer on the pic). They usually need to be replaced every few years, and it's not uncommon for them to be completely missing due to wear. You’ll know it’s time if the pump is noisier and/or makes rattling noises. They’re cheap to replace and work in both Chugger and March pumps (though in a Chugger they're not a perfect fit I'm told).

Link: https://www.homebrewing.org/Thrust-Washer-Front-teflon-March-Pump-_p_2498.html?AffId=95 

Notes:

- While I've only ever replaced these with the 'official' March pump part, many have had great success with this part from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2EcqeZL (Works out to a lot less per washer, but unless you're splitting with friends 50 is more than anyone's ever going to need)

- Chugger also uses a second (much larger) washer that sits inside the impeller housing. This larger washer is difficult to find other than in a complete Chugger repair kit as seen here: http://amzn.to/2GqsIEu

Need pumps? Check out our complete line of pumps and add-ons in our new shop: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/pumps-parts
We provide breakdowns and comparisons between various brands like Chugger and March (we carry both).

Our pumps are available with optional custom cables with expandable sleeving and locking (or non-locking) plugs. Need to extend the cord length or don't want to cut off the pump plug? Use one of our industrial pump extension cords. We always use industrial grade connectors and plugs instead of flimsy molded rubber that is easily damaged.

Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
GrumpyWally

Drinking: California Common, Schwarzbier, Roggenbier, Tripwire Tripel, Dubel, 2 Brown Porters

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, California Common

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Like everyone else who follows this site, I rushed right out to the brewery, disassembled both pumps and discovered that neither had a thrust washer. I immediately clicked over to the AiH website (using the provided link) where I discovered that a bunch of other folks beat me to the available inventory. The good folks there tell me:

These are temporarily out of stock on the site until we recevie more in from the vendor. Our shipments from them normally are in stock within 1-2 weeks but I dont have a current ETA at this time. They will be relisted for sale on the site once we have stock on hand for processing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, Cali Common, Maibock, Helles, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Not the sort of thing they probably sell many of normally. Wink If you want them now, you can get them from Amazon too: http://amzn.to/2EcqeZL

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: