Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Quick Disconnects on pumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobH

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Quick Disconnects on pumps Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's been about a 5 year journey since originally dreaming about a build and actually almost having all the parts to complete the build. The last of the parts for the panel should arrive next week so it's time to start thinking about the plumbing parts. Early on in the dream I purchased some cam-lock quick disconnects. Now that I realize there are spring-loaded, one-handed QDs, I would really like to use them as much as possible. With the price of QDs currently, I would really like to use these cam-locks somewhere. Skimming the brew day pages and trying to imagine how the brew day would go, I don't think that the hoses that connect to the inlet/outlet ends of the pump move during the brewing process so the cam-locks would work just fine there. Is this correct? My belief is that they would be ok since they are only touched in setup and breakdown. Being able to use my already purchased cam-locks there would save nearly $100 and I don't think there would be a difference in functionality. Thanks
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are saying can be done without any worries. Many of us on here use camlocks for the whole setup, including me. With that said, I do see the convenience of the QD's. I didn't go that route for two reasons, I have carpal tunnel in both wrists that flares up from time to time so grabbing something can be more of a challenge. The reason I didn't use them was I was worried about them leaking down the road (not saying that is an issue, just a thought).

I think either direction is a great choice. Mix and match for now to save money and later replace the camlocks with QD's if you determine it bugs you.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also use camlocks everywhere. as i understand it, these are built to an international standard so all the manufacturers build them the same way and they are interchangeable. the ball-lock style fittings can vary by manufacturer so compatibility can become an issue. shouldn't be a big deal if you buy all of them from the same place at the same time but could be an issue if you have to buy a replacement down the road and it doesn't mate up with your other fittings (leaks).
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use camlocks in my entire build as well. I have had no problem whatsoever. At the time these were significantly lower in price than the spring-loaded style QD's. I've incorporated the camlocks on my counter-flow chiller, my water filter and my water supply hose. One good feature of camlock connector is you can remove the silicone washer and really thoroughly clean and sanitize them
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are very valid points! I even keep a few extra silicone washers around. I've lost a few to the vacuum.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: